Transform Equation X(j+1)=X(j)+c1*(Y(j)-Y(j-1))+c2(Z(j)-Z(j-1)) into Diff Eq

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aline Rocha
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mathematical Model
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Aline Rocha
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I have to transform this equation X(j+1)=X(j)+c1*(Y(j)-Y(j-1))+c2(Z(j)-Z(j-1))
in a differential one.

I would like to know if is it possible multiply the equation by (1/z), like this:

(X(j+1)-X(j)) / Z = c1*((Y(j)-Y(j-1))/ Z)+c2((Z(j)-Z(j-1)) / Z)

Then approximate the difference by derivates:

dX(j)=c1*dY(j)+c2*dZ(j) with z->0 ??
dz dz dz
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Aline Rocha said:
I have to transform this equation X(j+1)=X(j)+c1*(Y(j)-Y(j-1))+c2(Z(j)-Z(j-1))
in a differential one.

I would like to know if is it possible multiply the equation by (1/z), like this:

(X(j+1)-X(j)) / Z = c1*((Y(j)-Y(j-1))/ Z)+c2((Z(j)-Z(j-1)) / Z)

Then approximate the difference by derivates:

dX(j)=c1*dY(j)+c2*dZ(j) with z->0 ??
dz dz dz
What, exactly, is this "z" that you are dividing by? Is it the same as the function Z(j)?
And why would j+1 go to j as z goes to 0?
 
HallsofIvy said:
What, exactly, is this "z" that you are dividing by? Is it the same as the function Z(j)?
And why would j+1 go to j as z goes to 0?

Oh sorry! The "z" that I'm dividing isn't the same Z(j). And j+1=z+delta(z).
 
Ok, I'm going to try to write the problem again:
I have the following equation:

f(x+h)=f(x)+c1*(g(x)-g(x-h))+c2(h(x)-h(x-h)) (1)

I would like to now if is it possible multiply the equation by (1/h):

((f(x+h)-f(x))/ h)= c1*((g(x)-g(x-h))/z)+c2*((h(x)-h(x-h))/z)

Then approximate the differences by the derivates:

f '(x)=c1*g'(x)+c2*g'(2).

Or should I derivate the equation (1) in both sides, like this:

d[f(x+h)] = d [f(x)+c1*(g(x)-g(x-h))+c2(h(x)-h(x-h))]
dx dx
 
Aline Rocha said:
Ok, I'm going to try to write the problem again:
I have the following equation:

f(x+h)=f(x)+c1*(g(x)-g(x-h))+c2(h(x)-h(x-h)) (1)

I would like to now if is it possible multiply the equation by (1/h):

((f(x+h)-f(x))/ h)= c1*((g(x)-g(x-h))/z)+c2*((h(x)-h(x-h))/z)

Then approximate the differences by the derivates:

f '(x)=c1*g'(x)+c2*g'(2).

Or should I derivate the equation (1) in both sides, like this:

d[f(x+h)] = d [f(x)+c1*(g(x)-g(x-h))+c2(h(x)-h(x-h))]
dx dx


You could take the first approach provided the derivative of both g(x) and h(x) exists. This is reminiscent of the Taylor expansion series. Only, your equation does not have the higher order terms in it.