Transforming Vector Equation in ax + by = c

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the person is asking for help on converting a vector equation into the form c = ax + by, but is unsure of where to start. They are wondering if they need more than one equation to solve for the unknown variables.
Peter G.
There's no information whatsoever about that in my book and my teacher never taught me how to do it. Could anyone maybe give me some tips or point me out a good website? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't given us enough information to even know what your question is.

I meant in a general sense, but I can write a question if it helps:

(These should be column vectors, but I don't know how to show them in here:)

(x y) = (2 0) + t(0.7 1)

I have to turn that into a c = ax + by form but I have no idea how to start...

Peter G. said:
I meant in a general sense, but I can write a question if it helps:

(These should be column vectors, but I don't know how to show them in here:)

(x y) = (2 0) + t(0.7 1)

I have to turn that into a c = ax + by form but I have no idea how to start...

Write what x equals, what y equals, and eliminate the t between the two equations.

But if I substitute for x and y I only have one unknown, do I need two equations?

LCKurtz said:
Write what x equals, what y equals, and eliminate the t between the two equations.

Peter G. said:
But if I substitute for x and y I only have one unknown, do I need two equations?

Each component of the vector equation gives you an equation involving t. Eliminate the t variable between those two equations.

1. What is a vector equation?

A vector equation is an equation that involves vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is often used to represent geometric concepts such as lines, planes, and surfaces.

2. How do you transform a vector equation into the form ax + by = c?

To transform a vector equation into the form ax + by = c, you can use the properties of vectors. First, express the vector equation in terms of its components. Then, use algebraic manipulation to isolate the x and y terms on one side of the equation, and the constant term on the other side.

3. Why is it useful to transform a vector equation into this form?

Transforming a vector equation into the form ax + by = c can make it easier to solve for specific values of x and y, as well as to graph the equation on a coordinate plane. It also allows you to compare the equation to the standard form of a line, y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept.

4. Are there any limitations to transforming a vector equation into this form?

Yes, there are some limitations. This form is only applicable to equations that represent straight lines in a two-dimensional plane. It also assumes that the vector equation is in standard form, meaning it is written as a linear combination of basis vectors.

5. Can you transform a vector equation into a different form?

Yes, there are other forms that a vector equation can be transformed into, such as parametric form or symmetric form. The choice of form depends on the specific application and the information that is needed to solve the equation.