Translation of handwriting into readable form

In summary, the conversation revolves around a handwritten document from physicist Richard Feynman, with the person asking for help in deciphering the equations in the document. The document is low resolution and difficult to read, with symbols such as "time second derivative" and "time derivative" being identified. The person suggests asking for help from someone familiar with Feynman's work, but the sender of the document is deceased. The person requesting help is specifically looking for the name or function of a character with a loop, not needing LaTex. The summary concludes with a response providing the solution: the lowercase phi, with the equation ##\varphi_n - \varphi_{n+1}##.
coolul007
Gold Member
Please see attached pic. I have received a handwritten document from a physicist. I am not familiar with the equations, therefore the symbols are difficult to figure out. I have done some searches. I know the first symbol is the "time second derivative" and another symbol is the "time derivative" a lot of the others I have difficulty discerning. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Attachment-1.jpeg
    Attachment-1.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
That scan is too low resolution, but other than that, what exactly are you asking? Transcribe the whole thing in latex? I dont' think so. Anyway I see a lot of y's, phi's, and exp's.

Why would you settle for guesses when you can ask the person who sent you this?

The person wrote it is deceased, Richard Feynman. With knowledge of the work, I assumed some would be familiar with the equations. Therefore making it simple to make them more readable.

Why didn't you say so? Which part do you not understand?

I don't know what character has the loop, I don't need LaTex, just the name or function

see attached

Attachments

• stuff2.jpg
    stuff2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 358
Lowercase phi.

##\varphi_n - \varphi_{n+1}##

Thank you

1. How does handwriting translation work?

Handwriting translation involves the use of specialized software and algorithms to analyze and recognize patterns in handwritten text. The software uses machine learning techniques to identify individual characters and words, and then converts them into digital text that is readable by computers.

2. Is handwriting translation accurate?

The accuracy of handwriting translation depends on the quality of the handwriting, the complexity of the text, and the capabilities of the software being used. Generally, the accuracy can range from 70-90%, with some software achieving even higher levels of accuracy.

3. Can handwriting translation be used in any language?

Yes, handwriting translation can be used in any language as long as the software is trained to recognize that particular language's characters and writing style. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the quality and complexity of the handwriting in that language.

4. How long does it take for handwriting translation to process?

The processing time for handwriting translation depends on the length and complexity of the text, as well as the capabilities of the software being used. In general, it can take a few seconds to a few minutes to translate a single page of handwritten text.

5. Can handwriting translation be used for historical documents?

Yes, handwriting translation can be used for historical documents as long as the software is trained to recognize the writing style and characters used in that time period. However, the accuracy may be lower compared to modern handwriting due to changes in language and writing conventions over time.