Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translucent liquid with the same texture as shampoo?

1. Jun 22, 2006 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

How can I cheaply make a translucent liquid with the same texture as shampoo? I though of dissolving lots of suger in water to get a semi-thick liquid. Whats a good way to make the sugerwater stay in a liqid state without crystalizing? Is there an easier way (to make what I want)?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2006 #2
    Primitive shampoos are made by boiling soap in water and adding herbs for fragance and nutrients. There are lots of instructions for making shampoos online- for example http://www.pioneerthinking.com/rs_herbalshampoo.html. Synthetic shampoos use surfactants to increase the ability for the shampoo to spread throughout the hair. No shampoo that I know of uses sugar water?

4. Jun 22, 2006 #3

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Corn syrup (clear sugar water) or perhaps honey, that you can find in the grocery, have roughly the same viscosity as shampoo.
    Don't think I'd say they have the same texture.

5. Jun 23, 2006 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Cesium - I don't want to make actual shampoo, just something that has the same consistancy.
    Also, would lemon juice prevent the sugerwater from crystalizing?
    Thanks.

6. Jun 23, 2006 #5
    Ah, my mistake- well homemade shampoo would have a similar consistency :smile: . I doubt lemon juice would help much with the sugar water. Could you tell us what you are using this product for and then maybe we'll have a better idea of what you need?

7. Jun 24, 2006 #6

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

I guess that "shampoo" wasn't the best title. I just want to make a cheap almost-clear semi-thick substance that stays like a liquid for a while. It's not for any specific use, just a self imposed challenge.

8. Jun 24, 2006 #7
    starch solution? not sure if its totally clear though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?