Translucent liquid with the same texture as shampoo?

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
How can I cheaply make a translucent liquid with the same texture as shampoo? I though of dissolving lots of suger in water to get a semi-thick liquid. Whats a good way to make the sugerwater stay in a liqid state without crystalizing? Is there an easier way (to make what I want)?
Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Primitive shampoos are made by boiling soap in water and adding herbs for fragance and nutrients. There are lots of instructions for making shampoos online- for example http://www.pioneerthinking.com/rs_herbalshampoo.html [Broken]. Synthetic shampoos use surfactants to increase the ability for the shampoo to spread throughout the hair. No shampoo that I know of uses sugar water?

Last edited by a moderator:
NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Corn syrup (clear sugar water) or perhaps honey, that you can find in the grocery, have roughly the same viscosity as shampoo.
Don't think I'd say they have the same texture.

daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Cesium - I don't want to make actual shampoo, just something that has the same consistancy.
Also, would lemon juice prevent the sugerwater from crystalizing?
Thanks.

Ah, my mistake- well homemade shampoo would have a similar consistency :smile: . I doubt lemon juice would help much with the sugar water. Could you tell us what you are using this product for and then maybe we'll have a better idea of what you need?

daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I guess that "shampoo" wasn't the best title. I just want to make a cheap almost-clear semi-thick substance that stays like a liquid for a while. It's not for any specific use, just a self imposed challenge.

starch solution? not sure if its totally clear though.