Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangles which are on the same base and in the same paralle

1. May 20, 2015 #1
    I have a small question regarding proposition 37 of the elements of Euclid. http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookI/propI37.html

The only problem I got with the proof is the fact that we don't seem to prove that we do have parallelogram. We have a figure with 4 side and we know that each opposite sides are parallels to each other. Is this considered enough to acknowledge that we have parallelograms ?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's how a parallelograph is defined.

4. May 21, 2015 #3
    But couldn't this be a rectangle ???

5. May 21, 2015 #4

Mark44

A rectangle is one type of parallelogram, one in which all four interior angles are equal.

6. May 21, 2015 #5
    Ok, then he's not pointing to any specific case, just that we have a general parallelogram ? (That usually have 2 pairs of parallels) Is that how I'm supposed to understand it ? I did the mistake of assuming that we had a
    Rhomboid

7. May 21, 2015 #6

Mark44

Fixed the above for you: "That usually always have 2 pairs of parallels"

8. May 21, 2015 #7
    thank you !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook