Trigonometry Practice Problems: Finding Distances and Angles

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a problem involving trigonometric functions. The first part calculates the distance between two towns, while the second part determines an angle. The last part raises a concern about the accuracy of the diagram used in the problem. The expert agrees that the answers are correct and suggests that the diagram may not be accurate.
eddievic

Homework Statement

As per the attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

for
a) sin58° = 32/hyp
hyp*sin58°=32
hyp=32/sin58°
hyp=32/0848
hyp=37.73
so to the nearest km between towns W & Y = 38km

b)cosθ=adj/hyp
cosθ=27/38
cosθ=0.710
θ=cos^-1(0.710)
θ=44.76

so to the nearest degree the angle = 45°

c)?^2=38^2-27^2
=√715
=26.73

so to the nearest km = 27km

do these look correct? I'm not sure with the last answer as if it is 27km its the same size as the other side and that does not look correct.

Attachments

• Trig.docx
    294.1 KB · Views: 195
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers look correct to me.

ap123 said:
Your answers look correct to me.

that last one just doesn't feel right, it look noticeably shorter than the known 27 km side

eddievic said:
that last one just doesn't feel right, it look noticeably shorter than the known 27 km side

It looks a little shorter, but how accurate is the diagram?

ap123 said:
It looks a little shorter, but how accurate is the diagram?

true, it does not show any scale so it probably is correct maybe me overthinking it.

eddievic said:
true, it does not show any scale so it probably is correct maybe me overthinking it.

I think it's just the diagram - e.g. the right angle at the bottom is not accurate.

Related to Trigonometry Practice Problems: Finding Distances and Angles

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles.

2. Why is trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is important because it has a wide variety of applications in fields such as engineering, physics, navigation, and astronomy. It is also essential for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts.

3. What are the three basic trigonometric ratios?

The three basic trigonometric ratios are sine, cosine, and tangent. They are defined as the ratios of the sides of a right triangle: sin = opposite/hypotenuse, cos = adjacent/hypotenuse, and tan = opposite/adjacent.

4. How do you solve a trigonometry problem?

To solve a trigonometry problem, you must first identify which sides and angles are given and which are unknown. Then, use the appropriate trigonometric function and solve for the unknown side or angle using algebraic equations.

5. What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a Cartesian plane. It is used in trigonometry to understand the relationships between angles and trigonometric functions and to simplify calculations.