1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble finding the amplitude in a SHM problem

1. Apr 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a horizontal spring-mass is composed of a spring with constant 10.0 N/m and an 80.0 gram mass on the end of the spring. the surface supporting the mass is friction less. when the system is first observed, the spring is extended 1.30 cm and the velocity of the mass is 54.1 cm/s in the negative x direction
    a. find angular frequency, linear frequency, and the period.
    b. apply the given info and your results from part a to find the values for Xsub m, and Φsub m.
    2. Relevant equations
    w=sqrt(k/m), f= w/2pi, and t=1/f
    x=Acos(w+Φ)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    i found w=11.2 f=1.78 and t=.56
    for part b i seem to be totally stuck, i would really appreciate a push towards the right direction.
    i looking at conservation of energy to find the amplitude but i don't know what energy is so i get stuck with two unknowns.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi frozen-pizza and welcome to PF.
    You don't need energy. Just evaluate x(t) and dx/dt at t = 0 and set them equal to the given values.

4. Apr 19, 2017 #3
    for amplitude i used Vmax=Aw so A=.541/11.2 and i seem to get the right answer, is this right or just a coincidence?

5. Apr 19, 2017 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you use for vmax? You are not given its value.

6. Apr 19, 2017 #5
    54.1 cm/s

7. Apr 19, 2017 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the velocity when the spring is at position 1.30 cm. The speed is maximum when the spring is unstretched at the equilibrium position.

8. Apr 19, 2017 #7
    yea that makes sense, it just happened to work out then.
    ok so if i set x(t)=0 is x(t)=Acos(0+Φ)? if so do i have to set it equal to 1.30 cm?

9. Apr 19, 2017 #8

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Then evaluate the derivative at t = 0 and set it equal to -54.1 cm/s. Solve the system of two equations and two unknowns.

10. Apr 19, 2017 #9
    I see thank you so much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted