Trouble solving a differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation involving partial derivatives and determining the behavior of the function f(x,y) based on the given equation. It is concluded that f must be constant under certain conditions.
rmas
Hi,

How can I solve this equation (finding f(x,y)) ?

[itex]\left (\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \right )^2+ \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \right )^2=0[/itex]

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you factor that with some i's? You know, like if I had:

[tex](x^2+y^2)=0[/tex] and I wanted to factor it, then I'd write:

[tex](x+iy)(x-iy)=0[/tex]

Then that means:

[tex](x+iy)=0[/tex]

or:

[tex]x-iy=0[/tex]

Ok, same dif then. Now do yours.

Nothing wrong with complex solutions. Try not to be intimidated by them.

Both term in the equation are greater than or equal to zero, so the equation says that they must both be zero and hence:
[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=0
[/tex]
So what does this say about f?

Thank you very much jackmell, that is very helpful.

hunt_mat said:
Both term in the equation are greater than or equal to zero, so the equation says that they must both be zero and hence:
[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=0
[/tex]
So what does this say about f?
The partial derivatives vanish, I suppose it means that f is constant ?

Yep.

What about f(x,y) = exp(x)exp(i*y)

Then first derivative w.r.t. x is just f(x,y)

First derivative w.r.t. y is i*f(x,y)

Sum of their squares is zero, yet they are not constant.

f is necessarily constant under the constraint that f has first partial derivatives which are functions mapping to the real numbers. Then the two squared terms are necessarily zero or greater, so must be zero. Then f would have to be constant.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. Why are differential equations difficult to solve?

Differential equations can be difficult to solve because they involve finding a function that satisfies the given equation. This requires a combination of mathematical techniques and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the different methods for solving a differential equation?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, using integrating factors, and the method of undetermined coefficients. Other methods include Laplace transforms and numerical methods such as Euler's method.

4. How can I check if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

The best way to check the correctness of a solution to a differential equation is to substitute the solution into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can also check if the solution satisfies any initial or boundary conditions given in the problem.

5. Can I use software to solve a differential equation?

Yes, there are many software programs and online tools available that can solve differential equations. However, it is still important to have a basic understanding of the techniques and concepts involved in solving these equations in order to use these tools effectively.