1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with simple elasticity derivation

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1

K29

Deriving the basics of infinitesmal elasticity, I have a proof regarding the physical significance of the strain tensor [itex]E_{11}[/itex]

So we are considering a material line element parallel with the [itex]x_{1}[/itex] axis being deformed.

At a point in the proof we have

[itex]du_{1} = u_{1}(x_{1}+dL_{0}, x_{2}, x_{3})-u_{1}(x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3})[/itex]

This is just saying we have a deformation happening along the[itex] x_{1}[/itex] axis.

where [itex]u[/itex] is a displacement vector: [itex]u=R-r[/itex] where r is the intiial position of an element in the elastic material and R is the same element's position while deformed. [itex]u_{1}[/itex] is parallel to the x_{1} axis

[itex]L_{0}[/itex] is a material line element parallel to the [itex]x_{1}[/itex] axis. So considering that line element: [itex]dr = dL_{0}\hat{i}_{1}[/itex]

Anyway they have the following step:

[itex]du_{1} = u_{1}(x_{1}+dL_{0}, x_{2}, x_{3})-u_{1}(x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3})[/itex]

[itex]=u_{1}(x_{1},x_{2}, x_{3})+\frac{\partial u_{1}}{\partial x_{1}}dL_{0}+O(dL_{0})^{2}-u_{1}(x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3})[/itex]

I am stuck with what happened there. Any help with what happened there would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2

K29

I see on wikipedia that displacement functions can be represented as a sum of an infinite series. It does not give further details. Is it perhaps this? how so? Please help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook