Looking for a Sample Truck-Mounted Crane Project with Drawings and Calculations?

• Thread starter k1mJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crane
In summary, the conversation revolves around the request for a sample project of a truck-mounted crane with drawings and calculations. The speaker expresses their need for the project and worries about the hydraulic components and design. Others ask for more details about the project and advise caution and proper knowledge before attempting to design such a crane.
k1mJo
hello guys,
Do you have any sample project of Truck-mounted crane that contains drawing,calculations ?

Best Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum...

I'm curious what you need these for. Care to elaborate on the project?

thank you :)

Actually, i just think that lifting 15 tones.I didn't think other details.If I could one project to examine ,it would be helpful to specify other properties.Especially i am worry about hydraulic components and design,i think it is going to be very complicated :(

I can't be of help in your quest, but I do have a couple of questions that might make it easier for others to do so.
Is this a straight lift, as a tow truck would perform, or do you have to shift the load laterally as well? How long does the boom have to be, since that has the most serious impact upon the mounting plates and outrigger design? When you say "hydraulic crane", do you mean that you want to have everything accomplished with cylinders? I ask because a winch driven by a hydraulic motor would qualify under the same definition.

You asked good questions but before i said,I can just specify value of lifting because i have no idea this kind of cranes.When i saw the this truck-mounted crane,i think to search about it.But i couldn't find any source,document etc... .I have just found companies that was manufactured these cranes :) .So,i think someone can help me ...

In that case, how about if you tell us, to the best of your recollection, what this crane was like?
Let's start with the truck. Since you specified 15 tonnes, I figure that it has to be a dedicated drivable crane as opposed to a truck with a crane attached. (I very well might be wrong about that, but I personally have never seen an on-deck truck crane that could handle more than about 5 tonnes.) So, did it happen to have 2 dually axles on the back and 1 mono steering axle up front, with tires about 1 metre in diameter? If so, it was a mobile crane as opposed to a truck.
Now, describe the boom as best you can. How many segments? Cable for the last stage, or a hook directly attached to the last segment?
Anything else that you can think of to describe it will help. I have a suggestion in that regard. Google "mobile cranes" and go to "images". If you see something that looks like what you want to know about, click on it and then capture the image. Post it, or a link to it, here and then we'll know exactly what you mean.

like that
87949221jhn.jpg
or
images.jpg

Okay, then. Good job.
I must say that I'm very surprised by the size of those things. They look like the ones that I mentioned as handling 5 tonnes maximum. Are you sure about your numbers?
I'm also a bit puzzled by the final picture, because of the angle and cropping. Is the cab articulated on that vehicle, or is that a second steering axle under the boom?
Actually, maybe we should establish whether or not we're using the same terminology. When I mention the crane capacity, which you put at 15 tonnes, I mean how much it can pick up and manipulate in one go. If you happen to mean the carrying capacity of the truck, that's different.

Oh no :),i want to describe this truck that carrying capacity is 15 tonnes .Yes, as you said,it could be 5 tonnes maximum.

Whew! That's a relief.
Alright then. The truck can be just an off-the-shelf flatbed that you can get at any dealership. Since you asked about formulae, might I infer that you want to build your own crane onto it? (I can say with reasonable assurance that it will be a lot simpler and cheaper to have one professionally installed. If you do it yourself, the insurance premiums alone will probably kill you.)

Yes, you understand it.I want to design my own crane.So,you think this project is a kind of
R & D.We know this is our first design in this situation.Our first purpose is designing this machine.

No one is going to make the design of their crane public because then anyone can build it.

You're going to have to design your own from scratch unfortunately.

Mech_Engineer said:
You're going to have to design your own from scratch unfortunately.
To which I'll add: either be prepared to spend loads and loads of money on design, testing, manufacturing, certification, etc., or do not proceed. Lifting heavy loads (like 15 tons) is dangerous and can yield catastrophic results if not done properly. This is especially true for mobile equipment.

Either fork up the money to design the thing properly, or just bite the bullet and buy one (note: there is a reason why most people who buy cranes, buy them as opposed to designing them from scratch.

I'd hate to discourage you from doing something potentially rewarding (both personally and professionally) but given that you don't sound like you know much about mobile cranes in general, I feel I should caution you as designing mobile cranes requires heaps and heaps of knowledge and experience.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

This would be a fun design project, and fairly simple for an engineer familiar with noble cranes. What is not so simple for someone not familiar with them is to figure out which standards and codes apply in your jurisdiction, and then performing the required tests and certifications that you meet them.

Travis_King said:
Either fork up the money to design the thing properly, or just bite the bullet and buy one (note: there is a reason why most people who buy cranes, buy them as opposed to designing them from scratch.

...given that you don't sound like you know much about mobile cranes in general, I feel I should caution you as designing mobile cranes requires heaps and heaps of knowledge and experience.

I tend to agree with this. If you're not familiar with the design, operation, and certification of a crane (especially one lifting 15 tons) you're better off finding someone that builds cranes and buy it from them.

Good responses to k1mJo. This thread is now closed.

1. What is a truck-mounted hydraulic crane?

A truck-mounted hydraulic crane is a type of mobile crane that is mounted on a truck or trailer. It uses a hydraulic system to lift and move heavy objects, making it a versatile and efficient tool for construction and other industries.

2. How does a truck-mounted hydraulic crane work?

A truck-mounted hydraulic crane works by using hydraulic cylinders to extend and retract the boom, which is the long arm of the crane. The boom can be raised and lowered to the desired height and the crane can rotate 360 degrees to move the load to different positions. The hydraulic system also controls the movement of the crane's outriggers, which provide stability and support for lifting heavy loads.

3. What are the advantages of using a truck-mounted hydraulic crane?

One of the main advantages of a truck-mounted hydraulic crane is its mobility. It can easily be transported to different job sites and set up quickly, saving time and resources. The hydraulic system also allows for precise and controlled movements, making it safe and efficient to use. Additionally, these cranes have a high lifting capacity and can handle a variety of loads, making them a versatile choice for many projects.

4. What are the safety precautions when operating a truck-mounted hydraulic crane?

Safety is a top priority when operating a truck-mounted hydraulic crane. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations set by the manufacturer and local authorities. This includes conducting regular inspections, properly securing the load, and ensuring the crane is on stable ground. Operators should also be properly trained and follow all safety protocols for the specific type of crane they are operating.

5. What are the maintenance requirements for a truck-mounted hydraulic crane?

Maintenance is crucial for the safe and efficient operation of a truck-mounted hydraulic crane. Regular inspections should be conducted to check for any wear and tear or damage to the crane. The hydraulic system should also be regularly serviced to ensure it is functioning properly. It is important to follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule and address any issues promptly to avoid potential accidents or malfunctions.