What wall thickness should be used for a steel tubing boom crane?

• Thread starter mudrat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steel
In summary: The force required is 2000 N.The simplified design point load and force without any reinforcement of the tube is what Mudrat is looking for. Mudrat uses the equivalent of 3" x 2" 3/16" wall tube. The force required is 2000 N.
mudrat
TL;DR Summary
Class 3 lever design, how to calculate buckling at force point.
Hello, I am a retired electrical engineer who likes to tinker and invent. As I am getting older I find the moving of logs is getting harder to do, so I am thinking of building a boom crane to attach to the 3 pt hitch on one of my tractors.

The design would basically be a class 3 lever, with a distance of 16" from fulcrum to force, and 48" from force to load. With a max load of 500#, the force is 2000#.

Using A39 steel tube, 2" square, I am wondering about what wall thickness to use. There will be a reinforcing plate at the force point and a tension strap/rod along the top, but I am looking to calculate based on the simplified design of point load and force without any reinforcement of the tube.

It has been way to may years since my basic strength of materials courses in university to remember the formulas. Searching the net has only brought up distributed load on beams. It did bring me to this site!

I would just like to get an idea of how to calculate the strength needed to prevent buckling at the force point.

Mudrat

Likes Drat
Engineering news on Phys.org
We need a sketch to properly understand your question.

Likes BvU
The Hayes 500 kg unit is along the lines of what I am thinking of. It is twice the capacity, unknown boom length.

They use the equivalent of 3" x 2" 3/16" wall tube. Also at 60 kg it is heavier than what I want.

What is the purpose of a steel tubing boom crane?

A steel tubing boom crane is used to lift and move heavy objects, typically in construction or industrial settings.

Why is wall thickness important in steel tubing boom cranes?

The wall thickness of the steel tubing is important because it determines the strength and durability of the crane. A thicker wall can support more weight and withstand more stress, making it safer and more efficient.

What factors should be considered when determining the wall thickness for a steel tubing boom crane?

The factors that should be considered include the weight of the objects to be lifted, the maximum load capacity of the crane, the length of the boom, and the type of material being used.

How is the appropriate wall thickness determined for a steel tubing boom crane?

The appropriate wall thickness is determined through engineering calculations and analysis, taking into account the factors mentioned above. It is also important to follow industry standards and regulations for safety and structural integrity.

Is there a standard wall thickness for steel tubing boom cranes?

There is no one standard wall thickness for all steel tubing boom cranes. The appropriate wall thickness will vary depending on the specific design and purpose of the crane. It is important to consult with a qualified engineer to determine the best wall thickness for a particular crane.