Truth teller vs liar : go to Hell !

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
the second soln is definetly more elegent as u need to ask only one guard and the guards need not know each others identity........ it is the soln to the more broader problem

truly (-1)*(-1) = 1 ;)

neu
Why dont you just ask "Am I male?"

Why dont you just ask "Am I male?"

Because you would conclude nothing at all.

Read again the first post:
...There is no correlation between lying/telling-the-truth and keeping the door to Heaven/Hell.

neu
There is no correlation between lying/telling-the-truth and keeping the door to Heaven/Hell.

Wait, the guard to hell always lies, the guard to heaven always tells the truth, so how can there be no correlation between lying/truth telling and keeping door to Hell/Heaven?

Wait, the guard to hell always lies, the guard to heaven always tells the truth, so how can there be no correlation between lying/truth telling and keeping door to Hell/Heaven?

You should read the first post.

How about .. "What door are you standing in front of?" The honest guard points to his door, and the liar guard points to the other one.

Last edited:
How about .. "What door are you standing in front of?" The honest guard points to his door, and the liar guard points to the other one.

Ok, now you know who the honest guard is.
And so what?

C'mon guys, you should read the first post.

neu
C'mon guys, you should read the first post.

It confused me, as I've heard it before but proposed differently: truth teller guards Heaven, lier guards Hell.

The no correlation between lying ang telling the truth and which door one is guarding does make a lot more sense now I've thought about it, as there is only one answer:

Will the other guard say he is guarding Heaven?

right?

Isn't this in Labyrinth with David Bowie?

Last edited:
Last edited:
kill both guards then open both doors but don't go in until you find out which door is the one you wish to go in (note some people want to go to hell like satanists)

Would he say that you are lying?

you ask either guards:
if i ask the other guard which door leads to freedom what door would he say?
they will show you the same door. you go to the other door.
the point is that the liar will point to the door of the tiger and so would the truth teller.

Sorry to be totally dead-pan about this.
The answer is a Double Negative.
If you ask the Truthful man what the other man will say he will say what the Liar would say.
If you ask the Liar what the Truthful man would say he will say a Lie, ie the opposite of the Truthful man.
The question therefore is: "If I ask the other man what is the gate/door to life/freedom, what will he tell me" - whatever the answer you do the opposite, because both men will tell either a Lie or a Truthful Lie.
The question must be a Double Negative !