1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to decide on a university

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    So I've been accepted to Queens and Mcmaster for engineering and waterloo for physics and this decision is killing me. I think I've narrowed it down to either queens or McMaster mainly because they both offer an engineering physics specialization which appealed to me because I originally wanted to do physics but realized getting a job doing physics with a physics degree is highly unlikely.

Anyways I'm just looking for some input that might help me decide. Which university has a better reputation for engineering/physics and does it even matter? If I end up doing well, I might decide to pursue graduate studies so that's another thing to take into account.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2
    I hear Queen's Engineering Physics is top 3 in the world. Anyways, first you should decide if you want to go into physics or engineering. Go into engineering if you can imagine your life not doing physics.

4. May 6, 2014 #3
    Not really... Maybe in Canada.

5. May 6, 2014 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I was in a similar situation many moons ago, having applied to both McMaster and Queens out of high school (although I specifically wanted to go through for physics). Both are very good schools - to the point where "reputation" should not be a deciding factor for you.

One thing that helped me decide was looking through the course calendar of each school. I planned out the courses that I wanted to take over the four years, looking at required coursework and optional courses and in the end McMaster had the more interesting set of courses (for me, at the time).

Beyond that I also took the time to visit and tour both schools and that helped. Another thing that helped me decide was the club opportunities. I ended up joining McMaster's emergency first response team and really enjoyed that experience. I knew that I wanted that opportunity as soon as I heard about it.

6. May 6, 2014 #5
    I would rather do physics but the possibility of becoming one of those people with a bsc in physics and not being able to find a job scares me. I have looked at all the courses I would be taking and they're both very similar. Queens also offers some more interesting programs like eng Chem and the eng/applied math which I find appealing

7. May 6, 2014 #6
    You are not planning to go to graduate school?

8. May 6, 2014 #7
    I would like to go to graduate school but I have no idea how well I'll do in university. I do well in high school but grades are inflated nowadays so its hard to tell. I figure with an engineering degree I won't be screwed if I can't get into grad school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook