Trying to decide on a career path

In summary, the person is a third-year Physics student who is unsure about their career options. They have interests in coding, music, and writing and would like advice on which path to pursue. They also mention a person who landed a job in IT/coding after taking some programming classes in school and continued coding as a hobby in University. They advise that programming is a good option as it offers many job opportunities compared to journalism or music.
carllacan
Hi. I'm not entirely sure if this thread belongs here. I apologize in case it does not.

I am currently on my third bachelor year on Physics. I have been thinking about the future lately, as I don't know what kind of job I want to have, and I feel utterly lost. I enjoy physics, and I am determined to finish my degree, but I can't see myself on any "typical" physicist job. Particularly I don't think I would enjoy much being a researcher, nor a teacher. I know that my preferences could radically change two years from now (which is when I expect to have completed my degree), but I'd like to know what other options I have.

The areas that I can see myself working on are

1) Something related to coding. I always enjoyed computer programming, and I've been some years doing it as a hobby. Maybe web developer, game programmer...?

2) Something related to music (or sound). I've been a musician for a long time. A job in which I could be involved in both music and physics really appeals to me. Maybe structural acoustics, or some kind of musical instrument engineer?

3) Something related to writing. I am good with words and I love languages, but I don't know what are the prospects of having this kind of job for someone with a physics background. Maybe science journalist?

If there's any of you that after completing some kind of Physics studies has gone on any of these "paths" I could really use some orientation, as I feel like I should start "moving" towards some direction.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
My 2 cents:

1) Good option. If you haven't had many formal programming classes, I advise you to collect your best programs in a portfolio to show to potential employers. It can pay well.

2) Like option 1, you will need a portfolio of projects, or further formal training in acoustic engineering. When you work, the pay can be good, but I'm guessing employment might be spotty and geographically constrained.

3) Like options 1 and 2, you will need a portfolio of your writing to get that first job. Writing jobs are often temporary or freelance (i.e., no benefits). Money might be tight.

My advice: writing can and probably will be part of a programming job. Music is extremely competitive and unpredictable, but it makes a great hobby. If you like programming, you should go in that direction. Just my opinion!

lisab said:
My 2 cents:

1) Good option. If you haven't had many formal programming classes, I advise you to collect your best programs in a portfolio to show to potential employers. It can pay well.

2) Like option 1, you will need a portfolio of projects, or further formal training in acoustic engineering. When you work, the pay can be good, but I'm guessing employment might be spotty and geographically constrained.

3) Like options 1 and 2, you will need a portfolio of your writing to get that first job. Writing jobs are often temporary or freelance (i.e., no benefits). Money might be tight.

My advice: writing can and probably will be part of a programming job. Music is extremely competitive and unpredictable, but it makes a great hobby. If you like programming, you should go in that direction. Just my opinion!

Thank you, I appreciate it :-)

I went the IT/coding route, mostly working in universities. Never had a problem finding a job. I also fancied science journalism and applied to several newspapers/magazines but got nowhere. I did have a portfolio, as I did some science journalism for my student newspaper. (Interviewing researchers on campus about their work, and that kind of thing.) I did land a job as an abstracter, and although this might seem a bit dry, it seemed like a fun place to work. But I took the another option. It might have been a "way in" to sexier science writing kind of jobs. If you are in the UK, think about taking an MSc conversion course in computer science, if you can't land a job immediately. Programming is really where the opportunities are in abundance. *Many* businesses employ computer "wizards", hardly any employ journalists or musicians.

So the best path so far seems IT. Thank you for your answers.

Can you tell me how did you land a job on IT/coding? Did you have any prior formal education outside of physics?

carllacan said:
Can you tell me how did you land a job on IT/coding? Did you have any prior formal education outside of physics?

I took some programming classes at school and continued coding at University for fun. Then I landed a "numerical modelling in magnetohydrodynamics" position as my first serious paid job. Then I moved into various programming jobs that had no relation to physics - based, primarily, on what looked like the most fun and, secondary, what paid best. This was several decades ago, taking formal courses may be more necessary these days.

What are the most important factors to consider when trying to decide on a career path?

Some important factors to consider when deciding on a career path include your interests, skills, values, job market demand, and potential for growth and advancement.

How can I figure out what career would be a good fit for me?

There are a few strategies you can use to figure out what career would be a good fit for you. These include taking career assessments, conducting informational interviews, and doing internships or job shadowing experiences.

Is it important to have a specific career goal in mind, or is it okay to explore different options?

It is perfectly okay to explore different career options and not have a specific goal in mind. In fact, many people change careers multiple times throughout their lives. It's important to find a career that aligns with your interests and values.

Are there any resources that can help me research different career paths?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you research different career paths. These include career websites, industry associations, professional networking events, and career counseling services.

What should I do if I feel stuck or unsure about my career path?

If you feel stuck or unsure about your career path, it may be helpful to seek out career counseling or coaching services. These professionals can provide guidance and support in helping you explore your options and make a decision.