Trying to find a constant or an equation

• Thread starter Some text.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a spaceship game and the desire to have the ship's turning ability be relative to its speed within a specific range. The person is seeking help in finding an equation or function that will produce the desired turning rates for different speeds, with a preference for a curved relationship rather than a straight line. Suggestions are made for potential functions that could achieve this.
Some text.
I am programming a little spaceship game, and my quandry is as follows;

I want the ship's turning ability to be relative to it's speed.
Though the particular values of each have to fall within a specific range.

So for speed of 3.00 (max), i would like a turning rate of about 0.015
And for speed 0.5 or so, i want it to be around 0.028

So I am trying to organise an equation or two to produce these figures as a result of speed, as this is the driving force(Ranging from 0.0 to 3.0). A nice curve would be ideal, rather than a straight line.

Much thanks for any help, I am tired, can't code straight and can't find a way to crack this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try by sketching a graph of what you want then think of functions that look like it.

Could be a-x2 if you want nearly constant turning rate at low speed, then decreasing faster and faster with speed. Or inverse sin, inverse tan, sigmoid, etc. if you want the turning rate to plateau at both ends of the speed range.

1. What is a constant in science?

A constant in science is a value that remains the same throughout an experiment or study. It is a fixed quantity that does not change and is used as a reference point for comparison.

2. Why is it important to find a constant in scientific research?

Finding a constant in scientific research allows for accurate and consistent measurements. It also helps to establish a baseline for comparison and ensures that any changes observed in the study are due to the variables being tested and not external factors.

3. How do scientists identify constants in an experiment?

Scientists identify constants by carefully controlling and monitoring all factors in an experiment. Any factor that is kept the same throughout the experiment is considered a constant.

4. Can a constant change in a scientific study?

No, a constant should remain the same throughout an experiment. If a constant changes, it can affect the results and make it difficult to draw accurate conclusions.

5. Are there specific equations used to find constants in science?

There are no specific equations used to find constants in science. However, equations can be used to calculate the value of a constant once it has been identified through careful experimentation and observation.