Trying to find force on a chain.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the amount of force transferred into a drive chain. The given information includes a 150HP motor and a gear ratio of 39:44. The desired information is the tonnage of the bench, but the conversation also mentions potential extraneous information and the need for more information. The suggested calculation for finding the maximum chain tension involves multiplying the torque at the motor by the gear ratio and dividing it by the radius of the first sprocket. It is also noted that the actual tension may be determined by the load and could be less than the maximum calculated.
TokerM
I am trying to find out how much force is being transferred into a drive chain. Here's the info as I was given:

Motor: 150HP
RPM: 1750
Gearbox information:
ratio: 39:44 Input HP 223 Output shaft to sprocket 6" dia.
Sprocket 20" dia. Top of tooth to bottom of root 1-3/8" 4" pitch of chain
No other sprockets connected.

Am I correct in assuming there is some extraneous info in there? As in, the input HP on the gearbox, I think that's a max number they may have pulled off the id plate?

What we're looking for is the tonnage of the bench.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it that I'm not giving enough information? If so, what more information is needed? I'm not an engineer by trade, I'm a mechanical designer, so I don't know what calculation to look up. Can someone at least point me in the right direction here?

Pwr & rpm give you torque at the motor. Multiply that by the gear ratio to get torque at the gear box output shaft. Divide that by the radius of the first sprocket to get max tension in the chain. If you have the gear box efficiency, then reduce the number by that amount, otherwise assume 95%.

This is the max chain tension. Actual tension is determined by the load if it is less.

Last edited:

1. What is the force on a chain?

The force on a chain refers to the external force or load applied on the chain, which can cause it to stretch or move in a particular direction.

2. How do you calculate the force on a chain?

The force on a chain can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the chain, and a is the acceleration of the chain caused by the applied force.

3. What factors can affect the force on a chain?

The force on a chain can be affected by various factors including the weight of the chain, the angle at which the force is applied, and the tension in the chain.

4. Can you find the force on a chain using Newton's laws of motion?

Yes, according to Newton's second law of motion, the force on a chain is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration.

5. How can the force on a chain be measured in a laboratory setting?

The force on a chain can be measured using a force sensor or a dynamometer in a laboratory setting. The chain can be attached to the sensor and the force applied can be recorded and measured.