Trying to find or similar problems (objects travelling across slots)

• Thread starter aRiver
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving objects occupying slots and traveling a certain number of slots per period. The person is trying to analyze the problem and is looking for guidance on how to approach it mathematically. They mention a simple case where three objects are released at the same time and the steps they go through, but they haven't defined a specific mathematical objective yet. They are also considering using a matrix to represent the possible changes in the system. They mention the challenge of explaining the problem in enough detail to get helpful advice without making it too tedious.
aRiver
I'm trying to find a way to approach a problem:

No two objects can occupy the same slot.
Objects can travel 1, 2, or 3 slots per period.
There are 18 slots.

That is really a very trivial case of a more complex problem. My question is does this sound like similar to any existing problems in mathematics? I'm trying to find a way to analyze the problem (matrix ? modulo arithmetic ?)

a simple case follows

three objects released at the same time, with rate 1, 2, 3.
step1 : 1,2,3 occupied
step2 : 2,4,6 occupied
step3 : 3,6,9
step4 : 4,8,12
step5 : 5,10,15
step6 : 6,12,18
step7 : 7,14

Eventually I want to analyze a way to, say, maximize objects of any type which traverse the slots over a given number of steps, or how changing number of slots effect the problem. Rather than ask for a solution or analysis, I was wondering if anyone could point me to a similar problem, because I feel like this is a more complex version of a solved problem.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
aRiver said:
Eventually I want to analyze a way to, say, maximize objects of any type which traverse the slots over a given number of steps, or how changing number of slots effect the problem.

You haven't defined a mathematical objective yet. It isn't clear what "traverse the slots" means. It isn't clear whether the objects are each to be treated as distinct from each other.

One way of looking at this is that there are a set of possible "states", each state being a set of 3 numbers that tell which cells are occupied ( e.g. (1,2,3), (2,4,6),(1,7,9) .. etc.) You can define a matrix A by setting [itex] A_{i,j} = 1 [/itex] iff it is possible for the system to change from state [itex] i [/itex] to state [itex] j [/itex] and [itex] A_{i,j} = 0 [/itex] otherwise. The possible changes the system can make in [itex] n [/itex] steps is given by [itex] A^n [/itex]. The matrix [itex] A [/itex] specifies the edges in a graph..

You'll probably get better advice if you explain the actual problem that you are dealing with. Asking how to apply mathematics to a problem is an interesting challenge. On the one hand, if you write a long post filled with details, you risk making it so tedious that nobody will respond. On the other hand, if you attempt to extract the essential details and summarize them, you are exercising your own judgment about which facts are the mathematical essentials, so you are removing that function from any of your advisors.

1. How do you track an object as it moves across multiple slots?

To track an object as it moves across multiple slots, you can use a motion capture system such as cameras or sensors that can detect the movement of the object and record its position in each slot.

2. How do you calculate the speed of an object as it travels across slots?

The speed of an object can be calculated by dividing the distance it travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be measured by recording the position of the object in each slot and the time it takes to move from one slot to another.

3. Can you predict the path an object will take as it moves across slots?

It is possible to predict the path an object will take as it moves across slots by analyzing its initial velocity, acceleration, and the forces acting upon it. However, external factors such as air resistance and friction may also affect its path.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its movement across slots?

The shape of an object can greatly impact its movement across slots. Objects with a streamlined shape, such as a bullet, will experience less air resistance and move faster compared to a bulky object with a lot of surface area.

5. How can you improve the accuracy of tracking an object across slots?

To improve the accuracy of tracking an object across slots, you can use multiple tracking methods such as cameras, sensors, and motion capture systems. Additionally, ensuring that the slots are evenly spaced and the object is moving at a constant speed can also improve accuracy.