Trying to obtain a 2nd order ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with obtaining a 2nd order ODE with respect to x and suggests a different approach to solve it. The suggestion is to move all terms involving dy/dx to one side and solve for dy/dx, which results in a separable equation. However, there may be an error in the resulting equation that needs to be corrected. Additionally, the suggestion is made to put back in the coefficients to potentially further factor the equation.
AAli
Hi I'm having a slight issue trying to obtain a 2nd order ODE with respect to x (so involves implicit differentiation in this case) from the equation below. I would greatly appreciate any help or tips to solve this problem.
Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 17.06.57.png

I've removed the coefficients to make things a litter easier. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 17.06.57.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 17.06.57.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 870
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AAli said:
Hi I'm having a slight issue trying to obtain a 2nd ODE with respect to x (so involves implicit differentiation in this case) from the equation below. I would greatly appreciate any help or tips to solve this problem.

I've removed the coefficients to make things a litter easier. Thank you.
Your question isn't clear to me. Are you trying to obtain a 2nd order ODE? If so, I'm not sure that will lead to anything productive. A different approach would be to move all the terms involving dy/dx to one side, and then solve for dy/dx in terms of everything else. The resulting equation is separable, so it's possible a solution could be found without resorting to the implicit differentiation you're talking about.

Mark44 said:
Your question isn't clear to me. Are you trying to obtain a 2nd order ODE? If so, I'm not sure that will lead to anything productive. A different approach would be to move all the terms involving dy/dx to one side, and then solve for dy/dx in terms of everything else. The resulting equation is separable, so it's possible a solution could be found without resorting to the implicit differentiation you're talking about.

Hi, my goal was to eventually obtain a set of coupled first order differential equations from the 2nd order ODE, so I'm happy to try a quicker approach to solve this problem. Could you please elaborate on the highlighted bit. Thank you.

Edit: order

AAli said:
Hi, my goal was to eventually obtain a set of coupled first order differential equations from the 2nd ODE, so I'm happy to try a quicker approach to solve this problem. Could you please elaborate on the highlighted bit. Thank you.
"2nd ODE" does not mean "second order differential equation." Please try to be more clear in what you write. Edit: I see that you have edited your post to include the word "order."

The strategy you're describing won't work, as far as I can tell. It does no good to convert a 1st-order DE to 2nd order for the purpose obtaining two first-order DEs.
What I'm suggesting is to move all the terms in dy/dx to one side, and then solve algebraically for dy/dx.
I get ##\frac {dy}{dx} = \frac{y^{1/2}(1 - y^{1/2} - y)}{y^{1/2}(y^{-1/2} + 1 - y)}##.
This is separable, and would be very simple to solve except for one sign in the fraction on the right.

Likes AAli
Mark44 said:
"2nd ODE" does not mean "second order differential equation." Please try to be more clear in what you write. Edit: I see that you have edited your post to include the word "order."

The strategy you're describing won't work, as far as I can tell. It does no good to convert a 1st-order DE to 2nd order for the purpose obtaining two first-order DEs.
What I'm suggesting is to move all the terms in dy/dx to one side, and then solve algebraically for dy/dx.
I get ##\frac {dy}{dx} = \frac{y^{1/2}(1 - y^{1/2} - y)}{y^{1/2}(y^{-1/2} + 1 - y)}##.
This is separable, and would be very simple to solve except for one sign in the fraction on the right.

I did as you advised but I got something slightly different:

##\frac {dy}{dx} = \frac{y^{1/2}(1 - y^{1/2} - y)}{y^{1/2}(y^{-1/2} + 1 - y^{-3/2})}##.

AAli said:
I did as you advised but I got something slightly different:

##\frac {dy}{dx} = \frac{y^{1/2}(1 - y^{1/2} - y)}{y^{1/2}(y^{-1/2} + 1 - y^{-3/2})}##.
Yes, I made a mistake on the last term in the denominator.

You mentioned earlier that you removed the coefficients. You should put them back in, as both numerator and denominator might be further factorable.

:olduhh: Isn't it just dy/dx = - y. ?

1. What is a 2nd order ODE?

A 2nd order ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It involves one independent variable and two or more derivatives of the dependent variable.

2. Why is it important to obtain a 2nd order ODE?

Many physical phenomena can be described by 2nd order ODEs, making them an important tool in scientific research. By obtaining a 2nd order ODE, we can gain a better understanding of the behavior of a system and make predictions about its future state.

3. How do you obtain a 2nd order ODE?

To obtain a 2nd order ODE, we typically use known physical laws or mathematical models to describe the system in question. We then manipulate the equations to isolate the second derivative of the dependent variable.

4. What are the applications of 2nd order ODEs?

2nd order ODEs have a wide range of applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems such as pendulums, electrical circuits, and population growth.

5. Are there any techniques for solving 2nd order ODEs?

Yes, there are various techniques for solving 2nd order ODEs, including separation of variables, variation of parameters, and the use of power series. The choice of method depends on the specific form of the equation and the initial conditions of the system.