Words meaning one or approaching one

  • Thread starter Thread starter jordan123
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
jordan123
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hey.

I am trying to think of a word or maybe make one up that plays of the ideas I want.

Basically I want a word (preferably not common) that means 'one' or approaching one. Something like that. I can't seem to find anything really relevant. There doesn't seem to be interesting names for the 'smallest' number like there is for large numbers 'googol' etc. Thought id ask here because maybe someone has run into a interesting word in their studies that means something like that. Or just make one up !

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"Unity" is the first thing that comes to mind, but there are dozens.
 
Andre said:
Monad?

Reminds me of "The Rodeo Song"... :biggrin:
 
Can you use it in a sentence so we can get an idea of what you're looking for? I took a different meaning from your post than most people here. I read "nearly one", as in "approaching asymptotically".
 
Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Can you use it in a sentence so we can get an idea of what you're looking for? I took a different meaning from your post than most people here. I read "nearly one", as in "approaching asymptotically".
I was thinking of the term 'asymptotically', but that doesn't address the matter of 'one' or 'unity'. But then I thought 'asymptotically unitarian'.
 
For very small numbers how about something like googolplexplexminex?As everybody knows one googolplexplexminex=1/10 to the power of one googolplexplex.

(found by googoling)
 
Astronuc said:
I was thinking of the term 'asymptotically', but that doesn't address the matter of 'one' or 'unity'. But then I thought 'asymptotically unitarian'.

Thanks everyone. This is helpful. And yeah I like the idea of approaching one. Basically I am trying to think of a catchy word to call something. And the idea I have for the project represents having one answer/response kind of. Like the correct answer or the answer you are looking for. So I just thought approaching one because taking all of the possible information I can return I will find the correct one and return it. So I am trying to get ideas on words that represent that.

Again, thanks for the help!