Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to think of a word. Need help!

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    Hey.

I am trying to think of a word or maybe make one up that plays of the ideas I want.

Basically I want a word (preferably not common) that means 'one' or approaching one. Something like that. I can't seem to find anything really relevant. There doesn't seem to be interesting names for the 'smallest' number like there is for large numbers 'googol' etc. Thought id ask here because maybe someone has run into a interesting word in their studies that means something like that. Or just make one up !

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

"Unity" is the first thing that comes to mind, but there are dozens.

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The multiplicative identity??

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4
    Monad?

6. Apr 2, 2012 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Reminds me of "The Rodeo Song"... :biggrin:

7. Apr 2, 2012 #6
    unitary
    monocoque
    singular
    individual

8. Apr 2, 2012 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Can you use it in a sentence so we can get an idea of what you're looking for? I took a different meaning from your post than most people here. I read "nearly one", as in "approaching asymptotically".

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  9. Apr 2, 2012 #8
    onliest
    singularity
    singular
    singularly

10. Apr 2, 2012 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I was thinking of the term 'asymptotically', but that doesn't address the matter of 'one' or 'unity'. But then I thought 'asymptotically unitarian'.

11. Apr 2, 2012 #10
  12. Apr 2, 2012 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

~1

13. Apr 3, 2012 #12
    Unity
    Singular
    Lone
    Solo

14. Apr 3, 2012 #13
    For very small numbers how about something like googolplexplexminex?As everybody knows one googolplexplexminex=1/10 to the power of one googolplexplex.

(found by googoling)

15. Apr 3, 2012 #14
    Thanks everyone. This is helpful. And yeah I like the idea of approaching one. Basically I am trying to think of a catchy word to call something. And the idea I have for the project represents having one answer/response kind of. Like the correct answer or the answer you are looking for. So I just thought approaching one because taking all of the possible information I can return I will find the correct one and return it. So I am trying to get ideas on words that represent that.

Again, thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook