Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tunneling effect in Supercapacitors ?

1. Apr 29, 2009 #1
    Tunneling effect in Supercapacitors ???

Hi everyone!

This is my first post … so please bear with me!

My question concerns the double layer developing within every supercpacitor / EDLC
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_double-layer_capacitor" [Broken]

Considering the interface electrode – electrolyte and the ions which are only a few angström apart from the electrode I can’t help but wonder why the tunneling effect (electron on the electrode side tunneling to the positive ion on the electrolyte side) can be completely neglected.

Could it be that the tunneling effect is indeed responsible for the long-term self discharge characteristics every EDLC exhibits?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2009 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Tunneling effect in Supercapacitors ???

But what level of potential bias is applied across those two? If it is a few volts, I doubt that there's any significant probability for tunneling current. If you look at the Fowler-Nordheim model, for example, you don't get any significant current until you are in the kV region, I would think.

Tunneling effect may still be present, but probably not significant enough.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook