Tunneling effect in Supercapacitors ?

• Thread starter Hans Peter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tunneling
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential role of tunneling effect in supercapacitors, specifically in the development of double layers within the device. The question is raised about whether this effect could be responsible for the long-term self discharge characteristics observed in supercapacitors. However, it is noted that the potential bias applied across the electrodes is only a few volts, which may not be enough to significantly contribute to tunneling current according to the Fowler-Nordheim model.
Hans Peter
Tunneling effect in Supercapacitors ?

Hi everyone!

This is my first post … so please bear with me!

My question concerns the double layer developing within every supercpacitor / EDLC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_double-layer_capacitor" [Broken]

Considering the interface electrode – electrolyte and the ions which are only a few angström apart from the electrode I can’t help but wonder why the tunneling effect (electron on the electrode side tunneling to the positive ion on the electrolyte side) can be completely neglected.

Could it be that the tunneling effect is indeed responsible for the long-term self discharge characteristics every EDLC exhibits?

Attachments

• product08-new.gif
    product08-new.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 434
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

But what level of potential bias is applied across those two? If it is a few volts, I doubt that there's any significant probability for tunneling current. If you look at the Fowler-Nordheim model, for example, you don't get any significant current until you are in the kV region, I would think.

Tunneling effect may still be present, but probably not significant enough.

Zz.

Thank you for any input on this topic!

I appreciate your curiosity and interest in understanding the tunneling effect in supercapacitors. The tunneling effect is a phenomenon in which an electron can pass through a potential barrier, such as the interface between an electrode and an electrolyte, without having enough energy to overcome the barrier. In the case of supercapacitors, this can occur between the electrode and the ions in the electrolyte.

While the tunneling effect is a well-known phenomenon in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, its role in supercapacitors is still a topic of ongoing research and debate. Some studies have suggested that the tunneling effect may contribute to the self-discharge behavior of EDLCs, as you mentioned.

However, other factors such as electrode material, electrolyte composition, and device design can also play a significant role in self-discharge. Therefore, it is important to consider all of these factors when studying the tunneling effect in supercapacitors.

Additionally, the size and distance between the electrode and ions in a supercapacitor are much larger than those in other systems where the tunneling effect is observed. This makes it more difficult for the tunneling effect to occur in supercapacitors, but it is not impossible.

In conclusion, while the tunneling effect may play a role in the behavior of supercapacitors, it is not the only factor to consider. Further research is needed to fully understand its impact on these devices. Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic and I encourage you to continue exploring it.

1. What is the tunneling effect in supercapacitors?

The tunneling effect is a phenomenon in which electrons can pass through a barrier, such as an insulator, even though they do not have enough energy to do so. In supercapacitors, the tunneling effect allows for the storage of energy by electrons moving from one electrode to another through a thin insulating layer.

2. How does tunneling affect the performance of supercapacitors?

The tunneling effect plays a crucial role in the performance of supercapacitors. It allows for rapid charging and discharging of the device, as electrons can easily move through the insulating layer. It also leads to high energy density, as the tunneling process allows for more efficient use of the available space in the device.

3. What factors influence the tunneling effect in supercapacitors?

The tunneling effect in supercapacitors is influenced by several factors, including the thickness of the insulating layer, the type and properties of the material used for the electrodes, and the voltage applied to the device. These factors can be optimized to improve the performance of supercapacitors.

4. How can the tunneling effect be controlled in supercapacitors?

The tunneling effect can be controlled in supercapacitors by carefully selecting the materials for the electrodes and the insulating layer. The thickness of the insulating layer can also be adjusted to control the amount of tunneling that occurs. Additionally, the voltage applied to the device can be regulated to optimize the tunneling effect.

5. How is the tunneling effect different from other energy storage mechanisms in supercapacitors?

The tunneling effect is a unique energy storage mechanism in supercapacitors that allows for very fast charging and discharging of the device. It is different from other mechanisms such as ion adsorption or electrical double-layer capacitance, which involve the separation of ions at the electrode-electrolyte interface. The tunneling effect involves the movement of electrons through a barrier, making it a unique and efficient method of energy storage in supercapacitors.