Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twiggy the Water Skiing Squirrel - OH REALLY?

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    Twiggy the Water Skiing Squirrel - OH REALLY???

Ok, you've probably seen this, the squirrel which, supposedly, water skis. But to me, it looks like the damn thing is simply riding in a boat (made to look like a pair of water skis) which is being pulled by another boat. I find it annoying that everyone claims the squirrel actually water skis. Am I missing something here or are people actually fooled by this? Because from what I can tell, the squirrel isn't doing anything remotely resembling water skiing, at least as far as the physics of the situation is concerned.

[​IMG]

Here's one of the vids of this thing:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously you haven't seen him ski barefoot.

4. Apr 25, 2007 #3
    :biggrin:

I'm just saying, I'm not very impressed with this cheap trick. There are many impressive tricks various animals can do, but I don't think this is one of them.

5. Apr 25, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was once shocked to see the "Oregon Vortex" [a house on a slope] advertised in an official state brochure as a "genuine mystery of science" where the ~"laws of physics are suspended".

That was years ago, but here is the "scientific information" from the website.

http://www.oregonvortex.com/science.htm

blah blah blah

Okay, I expect the website to promote this nonsense, but for it to be touted as such in a brochure put out by the State is going too far.

6. Apr 26, 2007 #5
    Thats a pretty common tourist trap. Saw one in humboldt county once. I don't know how the local citizens could tell the difference between it and everything else there though, given that it was humboldt county. Perceptually its a bit of a trip to be in though. Tricks of the mind are interesting.

7. Apr 26, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Is that a chipmunk driving the boat? :confused:

8. Apr 26, 2007 #7
    Looks pretty kick @ss anyway.

9. Apr 30, 2007 #8

Tsu

Gold Member

Yes! I was wearing my chipmunk outfit that day! But I had on my red sweater, too, so I'm surprised you could tell it was me. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?