Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twiggy the Water Skiing Squirrel - OH REALLY?

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    Twiggy the Water Skiing Squirrel - OH REALLY???

Ok, you've probably seen this, the squirrel which, supposedly, water skis. But to me, it looks like the damn thing is simply riding in a boat (made to look like a pair of water skis) which is being pulled by another boat. I find it annoying that everyone claims the squirrel actually water skis. Am I missing something here or are people actually fooled by this? Because from what I can tell, the squirrel isn't doing anything remotely resembling water skiing, at least as far as the physics of the situation is concerned.

Here's one of the vids of this thing:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously you haven't seen him ski barefoot.
  4. Apr 25, 2007 #3

I'm just saying, I'm not very impressed with this cheap trick. There are many impressive tricks various animals can do, but I don't think this is one of them.
  5. Apr 25, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was once shocked to see the "Oregon Vortex" [a house on a slope] advertised in an official state brochure as a "genuine mystery of science" where the ~"laws of physics are suspended".

That was years ago, but here is the "scientific information" from the website.

blah blah blah

Okay, I expect the website to promote this nonsense, but for it to be touted as such in a brochure put out by the State is going too far.
  6. Apr 26, 2007 #5
    Thats a pretty common tourist trap. Saw one in humboldt county once. I don't know how the local citizens could tell the difference between it and everything else there though, given that it was humboldt county. Perceptually its a bit of a trip to be in though. Tricks of the mind are interesting.
  7. Apr 26, 2007 #6

Gold Member

Is that a chipmunk driving the boat? :confused:
  8. Apr 26, 2007 #7
    Looks pretty kick @ss anyway.
  9. Apr 30, 2007 #8

Gold Member

Yes! I was wearing my chipmunk outfit that day! But I had on my red sweater, too, so I'm surprised you could tell it was me. :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?