Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twistor Origin of the Superstring

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.2510
    Twistor Origin of the Superstring
    Nathan Berkovits (ICTP-SAIFR/IFT-UNESP, Sao Paulo)
    (Submitted on 8 Sep 2014)
    After introducing a d=10 pure spinor λα, the Virasoro constraint ∂xm∂xm=0 can be replaced by the twistor-like constraint ∂xmmλ)α=0. Quantizing this twistor-like constraint leads to the pure spinor formalism for the superstring where the fermionic superspace variables θα and their conjugate momenta come from the ghosts and antighosts of the twistor-like constraint.

We should compare this with Ichiro Oda's "Emergence of Superstring from Pure Spinor".

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2014 #2

MTd2

Gold Member

Let me see if I understand something of the idea. The twistor constrain is a 16 dimensional space, which are spanned pairs of 8 dimension spinors, related by supersymmetry. So, what you have here is bosonic string, where each pair of spinors is a de-bosonized field. And this constrains yield the gauge symmetry of the string.

4. Sep 13, 2014 #3

MTd2

Gold Member

Note. I am trying to understand! Do not take what I posted above seriously! I am waiting for an answer too if that makes sense!!!

5. Sep 19, 2014 #4
    What I understood so far (I had very little time to read it) was that he starts with ten space-time dimensions and a ten-dimensional bosonic spinor. Then he makes a quantum theory for strings in this space, and there are ghost fields which are the worldsheet fermions of the superstring.

I remember that Garrett Lisi (E8 theory) was mocked for hoping that he could get standard model fermions from ghosts somehow...

6. Oct 2, 2014 #5

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually I'm sitting in a talk right now by Nathan on this very paper, but I'm not sure I'm expert enough to offer an opinion. :P

7. Oct 2, 2014 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He appears to be saying he hasn't yet shown explicitly how physical fermion states can be obtained from the ghosts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook