Twistor Origin of the Superstring

In summary, Nathan Berkovits proposes a pure spinor formalism for the superstring by introducing a 10-dimensional pure spinor and replacing the Virasoro constraint with a twistor-like constraint. This leads to a quantization of the constraint and the emergence of fermionic superspace variables from the ghosts and antighosts. However, it has not yet been shown how physical fermion states can be obtained from this formalism.
mitchell porter
Gold Member
http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.2510
Twistor Origin of the Superstring
Nathan Berkovits (ICTP-SAIFR/IFT-UNESP, Sao Paulo)
(Submitted on 8 Sep 2014)
After introducing a d=10 pure spinor λα, the Virasoro constraint ∂xm∂xm=0 can be replaced by the twistor-like constraint ∂xmmλ)α=0. Quantizing this twistor-like constraint leads to the pure spinor formalism for the superstring where the fermionic superspace variables θα and their conjugate momenta come from the ghosts and antighosts of the twistor-like constraint.

We should compare this with Ichiro Oda's "Emergence of Superstring from Pure Spinor".

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me see if I understand something of the idea. The twistor constrain is a 16 dimensional space, which are spanned pairs of 8 dimension spinors, related by supersymmetry. So, what you have here is bosonic string, where each pair of spinors is a de-bosonized field. And this constrains yield the gauge symmetry of the string.

Note. I am trying to understand! Do not take what I posted above seriously! I am waiting for an answer too if that makes sense!

Likes 1 person
What I understood so far (I had very little time to read it) was that he starts with ten space-time dimensions and a ten-dimensional bosonic spinor. Then he makes a quantum theory for strings in this space, and there are ghost fields which are the worldsheet fermions of the superstring.

I remember that Garrett Lisi (E8 theory) was mocked for hoping that he could get standard model fermions from ghosts somehow...

Actually I'm sitting in a talk right now by Nathan on this very paper, but I'm not sure I'm expert enough to offer an opinion. :P

Likes atyy and arivero
He appears to be saying he hasn't yet shown explicitly how physical fermion states can be obtained from the ghosts.

1. What is the Twistor Origin of the Superstring theory?

The Twistor Origin of the Superstring theory is a hypothesis proposed by physicist Roger Penrose in the late 1980s. It suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, as described by traditional theories of physics, but rather tiny loops of string that vibrate at different frequencies. These strings are thought to give rise to the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces) and all the particles in the universe.

2. How does the Twistor Origin of the Superstring theory differ from other theories?

The Twistor Origin of the Superstring theory differs from other theories because it combines elements from both quantum mechanics and general relativity. This theory provides a way to bridge the gap between these two theories, which have been notoriously difficult to reconcile. It also offers a potential solution to the longstanding problem of unifying all the forces of nature into one cohesive theory.

3. What evidence supports the Twistor Origin of the Superstring theory?

Although there is currently no direct evidence for the Twistor Origin of the Superstring theory, it is supported by mathematical equations and calculations. It also offers a more elegant and simplified explanation for the fundamental forces and particles of the universe compared to other theories. Additionally, the theory has made predictions that have been confirmed by experiments, such as the existence of gravitons (the hypothetical particles that transmit the force of gravity).

4. What are the potential implications of the Twistor Origin of the Superstring theory?

If the Twistor Origin of the Superstring theory is proven to be true, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and how it works. It could potentially lead to a unified theory of everything, which would allow us to better understand the fundamental workings of the universe and potentially make advancements in technology. It could also provide insights into concepts such as the origin of the universe and the existence of other dimensions.

5. Can the Twistor Origin of the Superstring theory be tested?

While the Twistor Origin of the Superstring theory is currently a hypothesis, there are ongoing efforts to test its predictions through experiments and observations. Some experiments have been conducted at the Large Hadron Collider to search for evidence of supersymmetric particles, which are predicted by the theory. Other experiments involving gravitational waves and black holes may also provide evidence for the theory. However, due to the complex and abstract nature of the theory, it may be difficult to definitively prove or disprove it in the near future.