Two bulbs, power, voltage, seres connection

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection of two bulbs rated at 25 W and 100 W, both at 110 V, in series to a 230 V supply. The question at hand is what will happen in this scenario. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the current through each bulb and using the power equation to solve for resistance. However, there seems to be confusion about the correct values to use.
math_maj0r

Homework Statement

Two bulbs rated 25 W - 110 V and 100 W - 110 V are connected in series to a 230 V supply. What will happen?
>
>

Homework Equations

p = vi. p = v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure I know how to interpret it correctly. To find the current through bulb 1, I did P1/V1 = 25/110 = .227, and for bulb 2 I did P2/V2 = 100/110 = .909. This can't be right because I1 must equal I2 since they are in series.

If I use the other formula p = v2/r and solve for resistance, i get a really big answer. i think i may be doing something wrong by plugging in 110 for v.

?

Physics news on Phys.org
You get a big answer ?
How much ?

First, consider each bulb separately.

If you connect the 25W bulb across a 110V source (as it was designed for), what is the resistance?

1. What is the difference between series and parallel connections for two bulbs?

In a series connection, the bulbs are connected one after the other, with the positive end of one bulb connected to the negative end of the other. In a parallel connection, the bulbs are connected side by side, with both positive ends connected to the positive side of the power source and both negative ends connected to the negative side. This results in different effects on the brightness and voltage of the bulbs.

2. How does voltage affect the brightness of two bulbs in a series connection?

In a series connection, the voltage is divided evenly between the two bulbs. This means that each bulb will receive half of the total voltage, resulting in a lower brightness compared to a single bulb with the full voltage.

3. What happens if one bulb in a series connection burns out?

If one bulb burns out in a series connection, the other bulb will also turn off. This is because the circuit is broken and no current can flow through either bulb.

4. How does the power consumption of two bulbs in parallel compare to two bulbs in series?

In a parallel connection, each bulb receives the full voltage from the power source. This means that the power consumption of the two bulbs in parallel will be higher compared to two bulbs in series, where the voltage is divided between the bulbs.

5. Can I mix different types of bulbs in a series or parallel connection?

Yes, it is possible to mix different types of bulbs in a series or parallel connection. However, it is important to consider the voltage and power ratings of each bulb to ensure that the circuit is not overloaded. It is also important to note that the brightness and overall performance of the bulbs may be affected if they are not of similar types or wattages.