Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two hour SNL Presidential bash tonight

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

High expectations for one more round of Presidential classics.
    http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/

Chevy Chase, who was famous for his President Ford impressions, was just saying that they specifically targeted Ford with those skits. The goal was to make him look so silly that it cost him votes. And allegedly it worked!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2
    Ivan, sorry if this is off topic but that is an awesome avatar. Now if you will excuse me I have to go vote for Obama.

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, vote for Obama Janus found that one and passed it along. vote for OBama.

5. Nov 3, 2008 #4
  6. Nov 3, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

omg, do NOT view this at work (or anywhere it would be unacceptable to laugh until you snort)!

7. Nov 3, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Too bad people would rather base their political decision-making on a bunch of comedians than on common sense and reality. :rolleyes:

8. Nov 3, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lorne Michaels - creator of the show - was talking about this the other night, and he claims that the comedy only works if there is something to spoof in the first place. That is to say that it wouldnt be funny if it wasn't based in truth. The comedy acts as more a social observation - the King has no clothes, that sort of thing - and as an amplication of what people are already thinking.

Ford was known for falling down a couple of times, as well as hitting his head. So Chase went for prat falls to spoof these events.

The sad thing about Palin is that SNL used exactly what she actually said, and it was comedy!

9. Nov 3, 2008 #8

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Along the same lines, I've given myself a new avatar for the election.

10. Nov 3, 2008 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could be worse. You could base it on what the common media has to say. :surprised

11. Nov 3, 2008 #10
    Exactly. The common media is terrible at reporting things truthfully and accurately, reporting the most unbiased sources, and reporting what matters.

You essentially have to conduct a research product if you want to find the truth on a given issue or piece of history, or look to the social sciences for analysis.

12. Nov 3, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, the "common media" seems to think Obama walks on water and is untouchable; I certainly have issues with that. It's sad that people have turned such blinding hatred of Bush into blind faith in Obama just because he has a "D" next to his name instead of an "R" and can't see how closely they're both cut from the same cloth of deceipt.

13. Nov 3, 2008 #12

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Just vote for the person who'se supporters yell the loudest, that's what I always do.

14. Nov 3, 2008 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really?

VOTE FOR MOONBEAR!!!!

:biggrin:

15. Nov 3, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The truth is that what politicians say means very little if they are willing to lie every step of the way, as McCain and Palin have done. We have picked apart their many lies time and again in politics.

16. Nov 3, 2008 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, you are completely predictable.

17. Nov 3, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Too bad you can't see that Obama has lied just as much. Why do you give him a free pass but not McCain?

18. Nov 3, 2008 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know all about what Obama has said. There is spin and stretch, and then there are bald-faced lies. Gokul already posted the study by a non-partisan group showing that Obama has been much more honest.

"Palling around with terrorists." Show me where Obama told a lie even close in magnitude or significance.

19. Nov 3, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could check any day of the week, and while Obama was generally talking about issues, McCain was usually talking about Obama.

20. Nov 3, 2008 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. I still don't understand how McCain would be different from Bush.

21. Nov 3, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

McCain's spokesman even stated publically that if they talk about the economy, they are dead. They would have to go negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?