1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two masses attached by a spring

1. Jan 8, 2014 #1
    This problem was on my test today and I am not sure if my solution is correct.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A box of mass 2 kg and another of mass 8 kg are attached by a spring with a spring constant of 80 N/m. A 4.0 N force is applied to the 8 kg box. Both of the boxes move with a constant acceleration on a horizontal frictionless surface. Find the acceleration.

2. Relevant equations
    Fs = -kx
    Fnet = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is where I'm not sure if I am right or if my classmate is right. He did this:

total mass of system = 10 kg, total applied force = 4.0 N
    4 = (10 kg)(a)
    a = 0.4

What I did was find the Fnet of the 8 kg box and the 2 kg box respectively and set the accelerations as equal. I think this is where I kind of went off the rails - I pictured it as the spring pulling in on both of the boxes, meaning the Fnet of the 8 kg box is 4 - Fs and the Fnet for the 2 kg is 4 + Fs.

Box A (2 kg)
    Fnet = ma
    a = Fnet/m
    a = (4 + Fs)/2

Box B (8 kg)
    a = Fnet/m
    a = (4 - Fs)/8

Then set them equal: (4 + Fs)/2 = (4 - Fs)/8

Cross multiply to get: 32 + 8Fs = 8 - 2Fs
    10Fs = -24
    Fs = -2.4 N

When I plug in these numbers into the free body diagrams it all seems to work out, but that might be circular logic - I get an acceleration of 0.8 m/s^2

Please help! :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello fuddyduddy. Welcome to PF!

Does the 4 N force act on the 2 kg mass or does it act only on the 8 kg mass?

4. Jan 8, 2014 #3
    It acts on the 8 kg mass, the picture was as such:

[2 kg]--(spring)--[8 kg]--> 4.0 N

And thank you for the welcome! :)

5. Jan 8, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. When thinking about the forces acting on on the 2 kg mass, the force of gravity is an "action-at-a-distance" force (from the earth). All other forces on the 2 kg mass are "contact" forces coming from other objects in contact with the 2 kg mass.

So, if someone pulls on the 8 kg mass to create the 4.0 N force on the 8 kg mass, that pulling force is a contact force on the 8 kg mass, not a force on the 2 kg mass.

So, what should you write for the net horizontal force on the 2 kg mass?

6. Jan 9, 2014 #5
    Okay, I see now! So the net force acting on the 2 kg block is simply the spring force directed to the right. Thank you!

7. Jan 9, 2014 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted