1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two objects colliding and dropping at different distances

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    A ball bearing is rolled down a ramp clamped at the edge of a bench. The ball bearing makes a head-on collosion with a marble at the bottom of the ramp.

My problem lies with question B.

A: Initially the ball bearing rolls down without a marble in place. The ball bearing falls a vertical distance of 1.2m and lands a horizontal distance of 0.95m from the end of the ramp. Show speed is 2ms.

Used s = ut + (0.5)t2 to calculate the time in 'air' = 0.49s.
    Used s = ut + 0.5at again:
    (s - 0.5at2)/t = u
    (0.95 - 0) / 0.49 = 1.94 ms-1

B: When the ball bearing is rolled down the ramp with a marble in place, it knocks the marble forwards. The ball bearing lands a horizontal distance of 0.64m from ramp. The marble lands a further 0.93m from ramp. Calculate the ratio of masses of the ball bearing and the marble.

Answer: Momentum conservation, correct substitutions, m1 : m2 = 5.3

My attempt:
    m1u + m2u = m1v + m2v
    m1u = m1v + m2v As marble has 0 momentum initally.
    m1(u - v) =m2v
    m1(1.94 - v) =m2v

I then calculated m1's final velocity by using speed = distance / time. Hence v = 0.64 / 0.49 = 1.31ms-1
    m2's final velocity by using speed = distance / time. Hence v = 0.64 + 0.93 / 0.49 = 3.20ms-1

m1(1.94 - 1.31) =m2(3.2)
    m1(0.63) =m2(3.20)
    m1 = m2(5.08)

I can't seem to understand why I'm quite a bit out.

Thank you :)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2
    The 1.94 is off by a little. Carry more significant figures in intermediate calculations, then round off at end of computation. Problem is caused by your computation in part A for time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook