Two particles with spin - measurements

In summary: I am able to get 3 eigenvalues for S1x matrix with following matrixS_{1x}=\hbar\begin{bmatrix} 0 & {1 \over \sqrt{2}} & 0 \\ {1 \over \sqrt{2}} & 0 & {1 \over \sqrt{2}} \\ 0 & {1 \over \sqrt{2}} & 0 \end{bmatrix}but I don't know how to find eigenvectors. I've searched for them on internet, but I couldn't find any good source. I would be very grateful if you could tell me how to find them or link me some good source. Thanks!In summary, the conversation discusses
gasar8

Homework Statement

We have got two particles with [itex]S_1=1[/itex] and [itex]S_2=1[/itex]. We know that [itex]S_{1z}|\psi_1\rangle=\hbar |\psi_1\rangle[/itex] and [itex] S_{2x}|\psi_2\rangle = \hbar |\psi_2\rangle. [/itex]

a) Find wave function [itex]|\psi_1\rangle[/itex] in [itex]S_{1z}[/itex] basis and [itex]|\psi_2\rangle[/itex] in [itex]S_{2z}[/itex] basis.
b) We measure [itex]S^2[/itex] of total spin. What are possible outcomes and what are their probabilities?
c) Find expectation value and uncertainty of [itex]S^2[/itex].
d) We measure x component of total spin. What are possible outcomes and what are their probabilities?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [itex]|\psi_1\rangle = |11\rangle \\ |\psi_2\rangle = {1 \over 2} |1-1\rangle + {1 \over \sqrt{2}} |10\rangle+ {1 \over 2} |11\rangle.[/itex] Can someone just check this?
b)[tex]
\begin{align*}
|\psi_{12}\rangle&={1 \over 2}|1\rangle|-1\rangle+{1 \over \sqrt{2}} |1\rangle|0\rangle+{1 \over 2}|1\rangle|1\rangle=\\
&={1 \over \sqrt{24}}|20\rangle+{1 \over \sqrt{12}}|00\rangle+{1 \over 2}|21\rangle+{1 \over 2}|11\rangle+{1 \over 2}|22\rangle
\end{align*}
[/tex]
For [itex]S^2|\psi_{12}\rangle=\hbar^2 s(s+1)|\psi_{12}\rangle,[/itex] we get:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
&Results \ \ \ \ &Probability\\
&6\hbar^2 &{13\over24}\\
&2\hbar^2 &{3 \over 8}\\
&0 &{1 \over 12}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

c) Expectation value is [itex]\langle S^2 \rangle = \langle \psi|S^2|\psi\rangle=4\hbar^2,[/itex] but I can't find uncertainty? I am thinking in this way:
[tex]\delta_{S^2}=\sqrt{\langle S^2\rangle- \langle S \rangle ^2} or \\
\delta_{S^2}=\sqrt{\langle S^4\rangle- \langle S^2 \rangle ^2}?[/tex]

d) How do I find outcomes and probabilities? I tried with [itex]S_x=\frac{S_++S_-}{2}[/itex], but got some weird wavefunction (which was not normalized), from which I can't find anything. Then I was thinking about Pauli matrices, so that possible outcomes would only be their eigenvalues, so [itex]\pm {\hbar \over 2}[/itex], but how can I apply this matrix to my wavefunction of 1x1 spins. I found something on wiki - Pauli matrices for such spins - and tried but got nothing...

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer to "a". (I computed the (+1)eigenstate of the ## L_x=(L_+ + L_-)/2 ## operator using the three z- angular momentum states as a basis. Perhaps rotating the ## m_z=+1 ## eigenstate 90 degrees would be quicker, but my quantum mechanics is a little rusty.) I think "b" uses the Clebsch-Gordon coefficients, but I would need to do a review of the topic to check your part "b".

gasar8 said:
a) Find wave function |ψ1⟩|ψ1⟩|\psi_1\rangle in S1zS1zS_{1z} basis and |ψ2⟩|ψ2⟩|\psi_2\rangle in S2zS2zS_{2z} basis.
Yes that's right.
gasar8 said:
b) We measure S2S2S^2 of total spin. What are possible outcomes and what are their probabilities?
It's been not yet specified on which state this measurement is applied on?
gasar8 said:
b)[tex]
\begin{align*}
|\psi_{12}\rangle&={1 \over 2}|1\rangle|-1\rangle+{1 \over \sqrt{2}} |1\rangle|0\rangle+{1 \over 2}|1\rangle|1\rangle=\\
&={1 \over \sqrt{24}}|20\rangle+{1 \over \sqrt{12}}|00\rangle+{1 \over 2}|21\rangle+{1 \over 2}|11\rangle+{1 \over 2}|22\rangle
\end{align*}
[/tex]
It seems like you are trying to form ##|\psi_1\rangle |\psi_2\rangle## and then express it in the basis ##\{|S;m\rangle\}## however the last vector is not normalized, I wonder if you put in the CG coefficients correctly.

Last edited:
blue_leaf77 said:
It's been not yet specified on which state this measurement is applied on?
We measure the [itex]S^2[/itex] of both particles together, so because of that, I tried to write my wavefunction in [itex]|S,m\rangle[/itex] form. Is this right?
blue_leaf77 said:
I wonder if you put in the CG coefficients correctly
Yes, sorry, I made a mistake when I was copying it from my handwriting. I forgot a [itex]|10\rangle[/itex] state, so the whole function is:
[tex]
|\psi_{12}\rangle={1 \over \sqrt{24}}|20\rangle+{1 \over \sqrt{8}}|10\rangle+{1 \over \sqrt{12}}|00\rangle+{1 \over 2}|21\rangle+{1 \over 2}|11\rangle+{1 \over 2}|22\rangle,
[/tex]
but this element is already included in the rest of my calculations in this exercise.

gasar8 said:
[tex]
|\psi_{12}\rangle={1 \over \sqrt{24}}|20\rangle+{1 \over \sqrt{8}}|10\rangle+{1 \over \sqrt{12}}|00\rangle+{1 \over 2}|21\rangle+{1 \over 2}|11\rangle+{1 \over 2}|22\rangle,
[/tex]
but this element is already included in the rest of my calculations in this exercise.
Alright.
gasar8 said:
c) Expectation value is [itex]\langle S^2 \rangle = \langle \psi|S^2|\psi\rangle=4\hbar^2,[/itex] but I can't find uncertainty? I am thinking in this way:
[tex]\delta_{S^2}=\sqrt{\langle S^2\rangle- \langle S \rangle ^2} or \\
\delta_{S^2}=\sqrt{\langle S^4\rangle- \langle S^2 \rangle ^2}?[/tex]
The second one.
gasar8 said:
d) How do I find outcomes and probabilities? I tried with Sx=S++S−2Sx=S++S−2S_x=\frac{S_++S_-}{2}, but got some weird wavefunction (which was not normalized), from which I can't find anything. Then I was thinking about Pauli matrices, so that possible outcomes would only be their eigenvalues, so ±ℏ2±ℏ2\pm {\hbar \over 2}, but how can I apply this matrix to my wavefunction of 1x1 spins. I found something on wiki - Pauli matrices for such spins - and tried but got nothing...
No, you cannot use Pauli matrices because they are only for spin -1/2 particles. For this problem I think it will be easier if you express ##|\psi_{12}\rangle## in terms of ##|S_1m_{1x}\rangle |S_2m_{2x}\rangle## basis because they are eigenvectors of ##S_x = S_{1x}+S_{2x}##.

blue_leaf77 said:
The second one.
So if I understand this correctly, I must use first [itex]S^2[/itex] on my wavefunction to get [itex]\langle S^2\rangle[/itex] and just two times [itex]S^2[/itex] on wavefunction to get [itex]\langle S^4 \rangle[/itex]. If I do this, I get:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\langle S^2 \rangle &= \langle \psi|S^2|\psi\rangle=4\hbar^2,\\
\langle S^4 \rangle &= \langle \psi|(S^2)^2|\psi\rangle=21\hbar^4\\
\Longrightarrow \delta_{S^2} &=\sqrt{5} \ \hbar^2
\end{align*}
[/tex]

blue_leaf77 said:
express [itex]|\psi_{12}\rangle [/itex] in terms of [itex]|S_1m_{1x}\rangle |S_2m_{2x}\rangle [/itex]basis
Hmm, how do I do that, how can I get [itex]m_x[/itex]? Do [itex]m_x[/itex] and [itex]m_z[/itex] have any connection?

gasar8 said:
So if I understand this correctly, I must use first [itex]S^2[/itex] on my wavefunction to get [itex]\langle S^2\rangle[/itex] and just two times [itex]S^2[/itex] on wavefunction to get [itex]\langle S^4 \rangle[/itex]. If I do this, I get:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\langle S^2 \rangle &= \langle \psi|S^2|\psi\rangle=4\hbar^2,\\
\langle S^4 \rangle &= \langle \psi|(S^2)^2|\psi\rangle=21\hbar^4\\
\Longrightarrow \delta_{S^2} &=\sqrt{5} \ \hbar^2
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Yes.
gasar8 said:
Hmm, how do I do that, how can I get mxmxm_x? Do mxmxm_x and mzmzm_z have any connection?
For example for the first particle, you can find the matrix form of ##S_{1x}## for ##S_1=1## in ##|S_1 m_{1z}\rangle## basis and then find its eigenvectors. There will be three eigenvectors of ##S_{1x}## for ##S_1=1##. Then invert them such that each of ##|S_1 m_{1z}\rangle## is expressed in terms of ##|S_1 m_{1x}\rangle## basis.

Likes gasar8
I think I wil need more help and hints here. So I am thinking this way:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
|S,S_z\rangle&=\alpha |S,S_x\rangle\\
|1,1\rangle &= |10\rangle \ \ \textrm{because the z component is 1, x and y must be 0 - right thinking?}\\
|1,0\rangle &= {1 \over \sqrt{2}} \big(|11\rangle +|1-1\rangle \big)\\
|1,-1\rangle &= |10\rangle\\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

So the matrix would be: [itex]
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1 & 0\\
{1 \over \sqrt{2}} & 0 & {1 \over \sqrt{2}}\\
0 & 1 & 0
\end{array}
\right).
[/itex]

I found something similar here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics)#Higher_spins

gasar8 said:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
|S,S_z\rangle&=\alpha |S,S_x\rangle\\
|1,1\rangle &= |10\rangle \ \ \textrm{because the z component is 1, x and y must be 0 - right thinking?}\\
|1,0\rangle &= {1 \over \sqrt{2}} \big(|11\rangle +|1-1\rangle \big)\\
|1,-1\rangle &= |10\rangle\\
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Nope.
The matrix of ##S_x## for ##S=1## spin in ##|S,m_z\rangle## basis is
[itex]
\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{2}}
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1 & 0\\
1 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 0
\end{array}
\right).
[/itex]
Now find the eigenvectors of this matrix, then write them in vector form using ##|S,m_z\rangle## basis.

Likes gasar8
Ahaaa, so I was thinking wrong. I have to apply an operator [itex]S_x[/itex] on every [itex]|S,m_z\rangle[/itex] state and then write a matrix, so:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
S_x|1,1\rangle &= {\hbar \over \sqrt{2}} |10\rangle \\
S_x|1,0\rangle &= {\hbar \over \sqrt{2}} \big(|11\rangle +|1-1\rangle \big)\\
S_x|1,-1\rangle &= {\hbar \over \sqrt{2}} |10\rangle,
\end{align*}
[/tex]

from where I get your matrix. :)

Ok, the eigenvectors are:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\vec{x_1} &= \bigg({1 \over 2},-{1 \over \sqrt{2}},{1 \over 2}\bigg) \\
\vec{x_2} &= \bigg({1 \over 2},{1 \over \sqrt{2}},{1 \over 2}\bigg) \\
\vec{x_3} &= \bigg(-{1 \over \sqrt{2}},0,{1 \over \sqrt{2}}\bigg) \\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

blue_leaf77 said:
write them in vector form using |S,mz⟩|S,mz⟩|S,m_z\rangle basis.
I'm not sure how to do it.

gasar8 said:
I'm not sure how to do it.
I will give one example. Let's take ##\vec x_1 = |S_x;-1\rangle##,
$$
\begin{aligned}
\vec x_1 &= |S_x;-1\rangle = ({1\over 2}, {-1\over \sqrt{2}},{1\over 2})^T = {1\over 2}(1, 0,0)^T - {1\over \sqrt{2}}(0, 1,0)^T + {1\over 2}(0, 0,1)^T \\
&= {1\over 2}|S_z;1\rangle - {1\over \sqrt{2}}|S_z;0\rangle + {1\over 2}|S_z;-1\rangle
\end{aligned}
$$

Likes gasar8
Aha, I just didn't know how to write [itex]|S,m_z\rangle [/itex] as a basis, so I only choose (1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1).

So [itex] |S,m_x\rangle = \alpha |S,m_z\rangle[/itex] would be:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
|1-1\rangle &= {1 \over 2} |11\rangle - {1 \over \sqrt{2}} |10\rangle + {1 \over 2} |1-1\rangle \\
|10\rangle &= - {1 \over \sqrt{2}} |11\rangle + {1 \over \sqrt{2}} |1-1\rangle \\
|11\rangle &= {1 \over 2} |11\rangle + {1 \over \sqrt{2}} |10\rangle + {1 \over 2} |1-1\rangle
\end{align*}
[/tex]

gasar8 said:
Aha, I just didn't know how to write [itex]|S,m_z\rangle [/itex] as a basis, so I only choose (1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1).

So [itex] |S,m_x\rangle = \alpha |S,m_z\rangle[/itex] would be:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
|1-1\rangle &= {1 \over 2} |11\rangle - {1 \over \sqrt{2}} |10\rangle + {1 \over 2} |1-1\rangle \\
|10\rangle &= - {1 \over \sqrt{2}} |11\rangle + {1 \over \sqrt{2}} |1-1\rangle \\
|11\rangle &= {1 \over 2} |11\rangle + {1 \over \sqrt{2}} |10\rangle + {1 \over 2} |1-1\rangle
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Note that with the notation style you are using now, you are prone to being confused by the eigenvectors of ##S_x## and ##S_z##. I suggest that you find a way to distinguish which kets belong to the eigenvectors of ##S_x## and which kets to the eigenvectors of ##S_z##.
The next step would be to express the three kets appearing in the RHS in those three equations (which are eigenvectors of ##S_z##) in terms of the three kets in the LHS (which are eigenvectors of ##S_x##). If you are familiar with matrix inverse, you can employ coefficient matrix of the above system of linear equations to do the inversion.

Likes gasar8
Yes, I know, I was confused. :D

Aha, I have already tried with the [itex]S_x[/itex] matrix before, to write its inverse. So firstly, I have to write [itex]S_x[/itex] matrix, then find its eigenvectors, build another matrix from this eigenvectors and then find the inverse:
[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
{1 \over 2} & -{1 \over \sqrt{2}} & {1 \over 2} \\
-{1 \over \sqrt{2}} & 0 & {1 \over \sqrt{2}} \\
{1 \over 2} & {1 \over \sqrt{2}} & {1 \over 2}
\end{array}
\right)^{-1}=
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
{1 \over 2} & -{1 \over \sqrt{2}} & {1 \over 2} \\
-{1 \over \sqrt{2}} & 0 & {1 \over \sqrt{2}} \\
{1 \over 2} & {1 \over \sqrt {2}} & {1 \over 2}
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

EDIT: The inverse was wrong.

Last edited:
Having found ##|S,m_z\rangle## in ##\{|S,m_x\rangle\}## basis, you can now write
$$
|\psi_{12}\rangle={1 \over 2}|S_{1z};1\rangle|S_{2z};-1\rangle+{1 \over \sqrt{2}} |S_{1z};1\rangle|S_{2z};0\rangle+{1 \over 2}|S_{1z};1\rangle|S_{2z};1\rangle
$$
in ##|S_{1x};m_{1x}\rangle|S_{2x};m_{2x}\rangle## basis.

Likes gasar8
Do I have to normalize this matrix from my previous post first? Because if I write [itex]|S,m_z\rangle =|1,1\rangle =
{1 \over 2} |1,S_x=1\rangle + {1 \over 2} |1,S_x=0\rangle + {1 \over 2} |1,S_x=-1\rangle [/itex] its not? Or am I wrong again?

Actually I just checked the inverse of that matrix in post #14 using an online calculator and it returns a different answer from yours.

Likes gasar8
Uf, yes, I was wrong, I don't know what was I doing, I edited it now, so its correct.
But anyway, what now, when I have to write [itex] |S_{1z};1\rangle|S_{2z};-1\rangle [/itex] for example, there are 9 elements, at [itex] |S_{1z};1\rangle|S_{2z};0\rangle [/itex] there are 6 and at [itex] |S_{1z};1\rangle|S_{2z};1\rangle [/itex] nine again?

gasar8 said:
Uf, yes, I was wrong, I don't know what was I doing, I edited it now, so its correct.
But anyway, what now, when I have to write [itex] |S_{1z};1\rangle|S_{2z};-1\rangle [/itex] for example, there are 9 elements, at [itex] |S_{1z};1\rangle|S_{2z};0\rangle [/itex] there are 6 and at [itex] |S_{1z};1\rangle|S_{2z};1\rangle [/itex] nine again?
Yes that's right. That's a lengthy expression but you are actually just one step from finished.

Likes gasar8
Ok, thank you very much blue_leaf77 for all your help and patience with me. Today I passed the Introductory quantum mechanic exam, pretty much because of your help at all my posted exercises. I would really like to thank you also for all your time you took for me, because I know how much time I spent on computer just for all my replies, so you had to take it a lot, too. Very big thanks!

BTW: After the exam I went to my professor with this threads exercise and he proposed a different way of solving it. He would just turn the coordinate system around y-axis so that [itex]z \rightarrow x[/itex] and [itex]x \rightarrow -z[/itex] and only the inital condition changes, so [itex]S_{1z}|\psi_1\rangle=\hbar |\psi_1\rangle[/itex] and [itex]S_{2x}|\psi_2\rangle = - \hbar |\psi_2\rangle[/itex] or something like that. And from there on, it just the whole exercise identical to a), b) and c) part.

But again, thank you for all your effort with me I really appreciate it!

gasar8 said:
Ok, thank you very much blue_leaf77 for all your help and patience with me. Today I passed the Introductory quantum mechanic exam, pretty much because of your help at all my posted exercises. I would really like to thank you also for all your time you took for me, because I know how much time I spent on computer just for all my replies, so you had to take it a lot, too. Very big thanks!
You are welcome.

gasar8 said:
BTW: After the exam I went to my professor with this threads exercise and he proposed a different way of solving it. He would just turn the coordinate system around y-axis so that z→xz→xz \rightarrow x and x→−zx→−zx \rightarrow -z and only the inital condition changes, so S1z|ψ1⟩=ℏ|ψ1⟩S1z|ψ1⟩=ℏ|ψ1⟩S_{1z}|\psi_1\rangle=\hbar |\psi_1\rangle and S2x|ψ2⟩=−ℏ|ψ2⟩S2x|ψ2⟩=−ℏ|ψ2⟩S_{2x}|\psi_2\rangle = - \hbar |\psi_2\rangle or something like that. And from there on, it just the whole exercise identical to a), b) and c) part.
Actually, since the problem asks you to calculate the probability for the x components given the system in the state as described by the initial condition, you still need to know the connection between the z eigenvectors and x eigenvectors. But maybe your prof still has some more steps with his approach to reach the same final answer.

Likes gasar8

1. How is spin measured in particles?

Spin is measured using a property called angular momentum, which is a quantum mechanical property that describes the rotation of a particle. This rotation can be observed and measured using specialized equipment.

2. What is the significance of measuring spin in particles?

Measuring spin in particles is important because it can provide information about the internal structure and properties of the particle. It is also a fundamental property of particles and plays a crucial role in various physical phenomena.

3. Can particles have different spin values?

Yes, particles can have different spin values. In quantum mechanics, particles can have spin values of either half-integer or integer multiples of ħ (the reduced Planck constant). For example, electrons have a spin of ½ ħ, while protons have a spin of ½ ħ.

4. How are spin measurements affected by external factors?

External factors such as magnetic fields can affect the spin measurements of particles. This is because spin is a magnetic moment and is influenced by external magnetic fields. The strength and direction of the magnetic field can alter the observed spin values.

5. What are some applications of spin measurements in particles?

Spin measurements have various applications in different fields of science. Some examples include the study of magnetic materials, quantum computing, and medical imaging techniques such as MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). Spin measurements also play a crucial role in particle physics experiments and the development of new technologies.