Two questions concerning scattering in QED

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a 4th order process of "decay of photon" with one-photon initial state and 3-photon final state. The first speaker suggests that while intuition may suggest that such processes are not possible, crossing symmetry of scattering amplitude argues otherwise. The second speaker mentions a statement from a book about the 4-momentum transfer squared in electron-muon scattering being less than zero, but raises a question about the sign of the term. The conversation concludes with a clarification about the metric used and the possibility of a space-like 4-vector being space-like in all inertial frames.
QuantumDevil
1. Are there possible (4th order)process of "decay of photon" [tex]\gamma\rightarrow 3 \gamma[/tex] with one-photon initial state and 3-photon final state? Intuition tells me there are no such processes. But because of crossing symmetry of scattering amplitude one can argue that such processes should be possible.

2. In one book I found statement that 4-momentum transfer squared [tex]q^2[/tex] (through vitual photon) in electron-muon scattering is less than zero. But even in ultra-relativistic limit when electron mass can be neglected one can find that:
[tex]q^2=-2k\cdot k^{'}[/tex] where [tex]k,k^{'}[/tex] are initial and final 4-momentum vectors of electron.

But [tex]k\cdot k^{'}[/tex] depends on scattering angle and so the sign of this term...or maybe I missed something? Can someone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, one gamma can go into three, but only in the forward direction. The process comes from a box diagram.

Actually, q squared goes to zero.Best to start with masses and finite momenta, and then let m->0

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson.

Mistake Corrected

I'm very wrong on q^^2. In the CM with huge p,, q^^2 = -4P^^2, in the metric with (1,-1,-1,-1). The max Q^^2 come from a 180 change in direction by the particles.

I'm not sure what metric you are using, but it looks to me to be the (-1,1,1,1) on, which, with cos(theta)=-1 you have what you need. Recall, a space-like 4-vector is space-like in all inertial frames.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Last edited:

1. What is QED?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, and it is a theory that explains the interactions between electrically charged particles through the exchange of photons.

2. What is scattering in QED?

Scattering in QED refers to the process in which two or more particles interact and exchange energy and momentum through the emission and absorption of virtual photons.

3. Why is scattering important in QED?

Scattering is important in QED because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in various interactions, such as electron-electron scattering or electron-photon scattering. It also provides a way to test the validity of the theory through experimental observations.

4. How is scattering calculated in QED?

Scattering in QED is calculated using mathematical equations and diagrams, known as Feynman diagrams, which represent the interactions between particles in terms of virtual particles. These calculations can become complex for higher order interactions, requiring advanced mathematical techniques.

5. What are some applications of scattering in QED?

Scattering in QED has various applications in physics, including particle accelerators, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as MRI machines and laser technology.