Two slit experiment w baseballs

In summary, it is not practically possible to perform a two slit experiment with baseballs due to their size and inability to be isolated from the environment. Theoretically, it may be possible in perfect isolation, but in reality, it is not feasible. There is also the challenge of preventing any knowledge of which slit the baseballs pass through.
Ronmarc
Would it be theoretically possible to perform a two slit experiment with, say, baseballs? How would such an experiment need be set up?

Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
No, not really. Baseballs are not quantum objects. THEORETICALLY, it is perhaps not literally impossible but I don't believe that in practice that it is possible.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/buckyball-double-slit-experiment.487816/
Thank you. But in the link you provided, someone states that the two slit experiment could be performed on asteroids "in perfect isolation". I'm confused.

Ronmarc said:
Thank you. But in the link you provided, someone states that the two slit experiment could be performed on asteroids "in perfect isolation". I'm confused.

:welcome:

About the largest object that has been diffracted to show interference is C60 (buckminsterfullerene):

http://www.univie.ac.at/qfp/research/matterwave/c60/index.html

Keep in mind that to show the interference, you cannot know which-path information. That is why the comment was made about being in isolation. Clearly, that alone would be a severe challenge with baseballs that emit light/heat. That would tell you, at least in principle, which path the object took.

Ronmarc said:
I don't see any conflict with that statement and my statement. As DrChinese pointed out, the practical aspects of keeping baseballs "in perfect isolation" are pretty much insurmountable. Just because math says that something is theoretically possible does NOT mean that it can be made to happen in the real world.

You could do it if you could prevent any knowledge of which slit they passed through from being available in the knowable universe. If you think about it, it would be very difficult for nothing anywhere to notice baseballs en route through baseball size slits.

1. How does the two slit experiment with baseballs work?

The two slit experiment with baseballs involves shooting baseballs through two slits in a barrier and observing the resulting pattern on a screen behind the barrier. The baseballs behave as both particles and waves, creating an interference pattern on the screen that is similar to the pattern seen in the classic two slit experiment with light.

2. Why is the two slit experiment with baseballs important?

The two slit experiment with baseballs is important because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It shows that even macroscopic objects like baseballs can exhibit wave-like behavior, challenging our understanding of the fundamental nature of matter.

3. What is the purpose of the barrier in the two slit experiment with baseballs?

The barrier in the two slit experiment with baseballs serves to create two narrow openings through which the baseballs can pass. This allows for the observation of the interference pattern on the screen, which would not be possible if the baseballs were not forced to pass through the two slits.

4. How does the distance between the slits and the screen affect the interference pattern in the two slit experiment with baseballs?

The distance between the slits and the screen in the two slit experiment with baseballs affects the spacing of the interference pattern. As the distance increases, the spacing of the pattern decreases, resulting in a wider interference pattern. This is due to the diffraction of the baseballs as they pass through the slits.

5. What are some real-world applications of the two slit experiment with baseballs?

The two slit experiment with baseballs has practical applications in fields such as optics and quantum mechanics. It has also been used to study the behavior of larger particles, such as buckyballs, and has implications for the development of quantum technologies. Additionally, the principles behind the experiment can be applied to other areas of physics, such as sonar and radar technology.