Why Is Two-Tone Ska Rock Popular on Retro Radio?

• Thread starter morrobay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
morrobay
Gold Member
Just hearing alot of this genre on retro FM radio. This genre originated In the late 1970's in Coventry, England. The local dj on this station , Top News Radio 93.5 FM is a Brit.

• Love
Likes Pythagorean, difalcojr and pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
morrobay said:
Just hearing alot of this genre on retro FM radio. This genre originated In the late 1970's in Coventry, England. The local dj on this station , Top News Radio 93.5 FM is a Brit.

Specials, the soundtrack of my adolescence 1979-81

I could speak an awful lot on this but I will be sparse and post intermittently.

Probably a lot altogether though!

This was my favourite, great snare sound, sinister chords.

Rat Race

Likes difalcojr
love that fast beat. Here's the only one that got air playtime back then that I remember, very popular then.

• Love
Likes phinds and pinball1970
difalcojr said:
love that fast beat. Here's the only one that got air playtime back then that I remember, very popular then.

Glad you jumped in! To me this was more political than musical so I was turned off.
Late 70s in the inner city UK was not political. It was just violent.

Wanted more of that style back then but did not hear much more of it, maybe I just missed it.
Here's only other one I know that fits that Ska beat, I think. Lead singer RIP 2023, Steve Harwell. 2009 concert.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
. Indeed an interesting Genre. First time actually aware of it

Likes pinball1970 and difalcojr
Ska was described as "dance music" and for a short time there was a "dance craze" 1980 ish

This video sums it up.

difalcojr said:
Wanted more of that style back then but did not hear much more of it, maybe I just missed it.
Here's only other one I know that fits that Ska beat, I think. Lead singer RIP 2023, Steve Harwell. 2009 concert.

That is fast! Loved the guitar intro.

Selector

Madness

Likes difalcojr and morrobay
Looked for more of that fast 2-beat Ska-type sound in other bands. Police, no. Elvis Costello, no. Found this old, 1967 one by Cream that is close, I think. Wiki says Ska was the mix of reggae and punk styles. I liked it.

Likes pinball1970

Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
Sadly, Terry Hall passed in 2022 but The Specials kept producing good music. Consider this from 2019. There's also a studio version but this live performance is edgy.

Don't shoot the messenger, but don't be overly thankful either!

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
If you wanna go to the roots I recommend "Manu Chao". There's no punk influence but the Ska rhythm is unmistakably there and it's pretty cool with a nice ethnic touch.

Likes difalcojr
Classic Jamaican Ska.

You know, I've had that Specials' "Gangster" song going through my mind now since you first posted it over a month ago! :smile: It's that good, thanks! I find myself counting beats, one, two, one, two, ...

The Manu Chao that @sbrothy recommended has a different sound but similar beat too, I agree. Here's a couple, first a faster beat, the second slower and video is pretty cool.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
TAX day in U.S. tomorrow. Here's some advice. :smile:

And, for Canada, April 30.

Likes pinball1970
Is that a vox teardrop?"

Likes difalcojr