Two triangles with common edge in 1000-vertex graph with 250,001 edges

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
372
I am given a graph G with 1000 vertices and 250,001 edges and I need to show there are two triangles in it with common edge.

Now if I write the graph of 'two triangles with a common edge' as H then I need to show that:
[tex]ex(1000,H) \le ex(1000, K_3) = 250,000[/tex]

So basically I need to show that the set
[tex]F_1=\{ |E(G)| : |V(G)|=1000, H\not\subset G\}[/tex]
is a subset of [tex]F_2=\{|E(G)| : |V(G)|=1000, K_3 \not\subset G\}[/tex]

Now, I am not sure if my reasoning is correct, but I think that if K_3 isn't a subgraph of G then obviously H isn't as well (cause G doesn't contain triangles), so it seems to me that F_2 is a subset of F_1 and not the other way around?

Have I got it all wrong here?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org