Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

U.S. Destroyer chases pirate ship

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    Interesting anachronism!

picture
    link

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Pirates are still a big problem in parts of the world, particularly in the Indian Ocean around the Horn of Africa (Somalia) and Selat Karimata between the South China and Java Seas, and possibly the Straits of Molucca. Modern pirates use mortars and RPGs obtained on the black market.

e.g. Hijacked tanker recovered

See also the weekly piracy report - http://www.icc-ccs.org/prc/piracyreport.php

4. Jan 22, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

There was a recent publicized incident where a cruise ship was attacked by a pirate ship. Long story short, the cruise ship decided to try to run over the pirate ship and almost succeeded... they eventually just outran them and escaped

5. Jan 22, 2006 #4
    Oh I know pirates are a problem. But look at the picture - there's like this tiny yacht trying to outrun a missile destroyer. It just looks so absurd - how stupid can you be?

6. Jan 22, 2006 #5
    It suprises me that they could outrun them, I picture cruise ships taking forever to get up to speed, but I guess not. Maybe the pirate ship's drummer just couldn't keep up the beat.

7. Jan 22, 2006 #6
    isn't this one of the most redundant articles, in that things are said redundantly, you've ever read because of the way they are so redundant and say the same things more than once redundantly?

8. Jan 22, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I read that the cruise ship detered the pirates by means of some kind of on-board sonic boom generator.

9. Jan 22, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That was a seperate incident.

10. Jan 22, 2006 #9
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  11. Jan 22, 2006 #10
  12. Jan 22, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Jan 22, 2006 #12
    I like, totally concur.

(:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: )

14. Jan 23, 2006 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the second link in the OP :

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?