Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

U think that the univers is realy expanding? think again

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    u think that the univers is realy expanding?? think again

well i readed recently in a physics magazine that the scientist are trying to find if the neutrino has any mass , if it is true then the univers will be contracting and not expanding and the big bang theorie is false.. what is the relation ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... you are about 10 years too late. We ALREADY know the neutrinos have mass! The neutrino oscillation experiments have been going on for the past 10 years, at least. This has no effect on the universe expansion as of yet. In fact, the whole reason for the "dark energy" scenario is due to the more recent observation that the universe seems to be expanding at an even faster rate than expected!

Zz.

4. Sep 17, 2007 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Even worse, the neutrino 'mass' is far too insignificant to affect the 'big picture' of expansion. It is not a viable candidate to explain 'dark matter' or assert it's place as the 'missing mass' in a Lamda universe.

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4

hellfire

Science Advisor

This is correct. I would like to emphasize that the mass of the known neutrinos is too insignificant. However, the existence of a heavy fourth generation neutrino has been recently postulated in order to correct the too cuspy density profiles of a pure cold dark matter model. See for example: Constraining Warm Dark Matter candidates including sterile neutrinos and light gravitinos with WMAP and the Lyman-alpha forest.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  6. Sep 17, 2007 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er.. are you sure? I thought the recent MiniBooNE experimental results kinda dashed that hope?

Zz.

7. Sep 17, 2007 #6

hellfire

Science Advisor

You might be right. I was relying on the wikipedia article about MiniBooNe that claims that there are indications pointing towards the existence of the sterile neutrino and that this information is more recent than the april paper also mentioned there (and that I assume to be the source for the physicsworld article you have linked). However, I've checked now the MiniBooNe web and I was not able to find any more recent information. It seams that the wikipedia article is not very accurate.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  8. Sep 17, 2007 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That goes without saying.

Trust Wikipedia at your own risk.

Zz.

9. Sep 18, 2007 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

The quality of articles on Wiki vary wildely, and daily. It is an unreliable source, IMO.

10. Sep 18, 2007 #9
    Not really. The LSND signal that MiniBooNE was trying to reproduce is in the wrong region of the sterile neutrino parameter space to account for warm dark matter.

11. Sep 18, 2007 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

But even LSND has backed down from its own findings when it couldn't find it again, no? Or am I thinking of another experiment here?

Zz.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  12. Sep 18, 2007 #11
    My point was that MiniBooNE does not rule out the full parameter space for sterile neutrinos. The big news back in April was that it had found nothing where the hint of a signal reported by LSND had been. This is in a region of the parameter space quite remote from any sort of dark matter candidate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?