UC's with good Physics departments?

• Thread starter MillerGenuine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for schools with the best physics departments for a student currently attending community college. The mentioned options include UC Berkeley, UCSB, UCSD, UCSC, Cal Tech, and UCLA. Some schools are recommended based on rankings and reputation, while others are suggested based on personal experiences.
MillerGenuine
I'm currently a student at a community college pursuing a degree in physics. I am winding down and starting to get ready to transfer out to a 4 year to take upper division classes. Does anyone know the schools with the best physics departments? I live in southern cali so to be specific I am wondering which UC('s) have the best departments? Or maybe even some small local private schools that have excellent departments.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not going to claim I'm particularly informed, but just from rankings and word of mouth I'd say UC Berkeley has an excellent physics department. I also heard that UCSB is pretty good as well.

UCSD has a great department along with UCSB and UCSC and Berkeley. All great schools.

Have you considered Cal Tech? They have some pretty exciting stuff going on there.

DDTea said:
Have you considered Cal Tech? They have some pretty exciting stuff going on there.

I don't think I know too many physics majors who haven't 'considered' Caltech. The only thing about that is.. well, heh, it's Caltech.

Im suprised no one has mentioned UCLA

I don't think UCLA is as reputable for Physics.

UCLA has graduated a number of well-known physicists, including Mike Zeller (Yale), Harry Thacker (Virginia), and George Hou (Taiwan). Probably all the UC's but Merced are in the Top 50 or so.

1. What are the top UC's with good Physics departments?

The top UC's with good Physics departments are UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, and UC Irvine.

2. What makes these UC's stand out in terms of their Physics departments?

These UC's have a strong emphasis on research and have renowned faculty members who have made significant contributions to the field of Physics. They also have well-equipped facilities and offer a diverse range of courses in Physics.

3. How are the job prospects for graduates from these UC's with good Physics departments?

The job prospects for graduates from these UC's are excellent. Many top companies and research institutions actively recruit graduates from these schools due to their strong Physics programs and the skills and knowledge they acquire during their studies.

4. Are there any specific areas of Physics that these UC's excel in?

While all of these UC's have strong overall Physics departments, some specialize in specific areas. UC Berkeley is known for its research in theoretical physics, while UCLA has a strong focus on experimental physics. UC Santa Barbara is renowned for its program in condensed matter physics, and UC San Diego has a strong astrophysics program. UC Irvine is known for its research in quantum mechanics and quantum computing.

5. How competitive is it to get into these UC's with good Physics departments?

Admission to these UC's is highly competitive, especially for their Physics programs. Applicants are expected to have a strong academic background, particularly in math and science courses. They also take into account research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. It is important to have a well-rounded application to increase your chances of admission.