Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UFO-Electromagnetic Levitation Demonstration

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    Can anyone help me understand what's happening in this video? Is it a total bamboozle, or is there anything to it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It looks like normal magnetic levitation to me. Nothing particularly exciting about that.

4. Feb 12, 2008 #3

ranger

Gold Member

Just search youtube for magnetic levitation and you'll get some interesting vids. Also diamagnetic levitation is also quite interesting. Ever see a floating (or flying) frog?

5. Feb 13, 2008 #4
    No, but I wouldn't mind it. I should check that out.

6. Feb 13, 2008 #5
    Yeah, I've seen that floating frog. They used an extremely powerful magnetic field. Fascinating!

7. Feb 13, 2008 #6
  8. Feb 13, 2008 #7

ranger

Gold Member

9. Feb 15, 2008 #8
    Well, sort of. The coil looks OK, but I can't see the stabilization. Is there something in that platform underneath? Or am I completely missing it?

10. Feb 27, 2010 #9
    The coil creates a alternating magnetic field around it. This induces an opposing alternating magnetic field, from eddy currents, in the alluminum plate under the coil.

You can do it with a small coil of wire plugged directly into the wall, if the coil has the right reactance. To large a coil will be too heavy. To small a coil will melt. You need the metal plate and alluminum or copper is best.

Would be interesting to calculate how intense a field you would need to get enough inductive reaction from the air or vacuume. So you could do it without the metal plate.

11. Mar 6, 2010 #10
    This is the mechanism I've heard of before for this phenomenon. I'm sure the magnetic permeability of the metal plate and the AC frequency play a role. Is it just coincidence that 120 Hz is in the correct frequency range? What frequency would give you maximum efficiency?

12. Mar 6, 2010 #11
    It just easiest to plug it right into the wall. You wind the coil to get maximum current, without melting the coil or blowing the breaker. I would hazard a guess there is a certain frequency which would maximize the distance. There has got to be a paper somewhere that has experimented with all the variables?

You can do the opposite as well, floating an aluminum plate or bowl over top of a strong AC electromagnet.

http://www.ovalecotech.ca/ovlpics/faralev.gif

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?