What does the levitating frog feel?

If you were suspended inside and iron armor between an electromagnet and the ground it is obvious that you would feel your weight against that armor, but when a frog is suspended by diamagnetic levitation I understand that it feels weightlessness. If this is correct, that means that if it were possible to do that with humans you would have a "virtual" rollercoaster or drop tower, because from off to on you would go from 1 g to 0 g, so you would have an incredible sensation. Imagine that with virtual reality glasses. What do you think?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Since there IS a force being applied to the frog's body, I don't see how it could feel exactly like free-fall. It certainly would feel different than just sitting on the ground since the force is distributed throughout the body.

DrGreg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I guess it would feel more like floating in water.

Likes phinds
when a frog is suspended by diamagnetic levitation I understand that it feels weightlessness
That would require that the electromagnetic force field is sufficiently homogeneous. I don't think that bones and different tissues have identical diamagnetic properties and therefore expect that the frog can feel the difference.