1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UIUC vs San Diego Engineering School

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    Hello
    How would you rate the engineering graduate school of UIUC and UC San Diego?
    Do you think they are in the same tier in the US?
    I am not a resident in the US so I am not really sure how these two schools are like.
    Can someone give some comments?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2
    I would rate UIUC higher overall. What field of engineering are you in?

4. Mar 8, 2008 #3
    There's no question that UIUC is a top-ranked engineering school, but, as Manchot notes, check the specific department. Look for well-known (in their field) professors, research activities, and peer ranking (if you can find that).

5. Mar 9, 2008 #4
    I am in mechanical engineering.
    UIUC shall be higher-ranked one, but do you think there is a huge gap between UIUC and UCSD?
    I mean are they classified as the same tier?

6. Mar 9, 2008 #5
    They're both good schools. UIUC is in the top 20 in almost any rating and that might make a difference if you want to get a PhD and have an academic career. If you want to be a practicing engineer, any of the top 100 or so schools is fine. UCSD is certainly in that category and apparently has a wonderful physical setting (engineering students are permitted some social time).

7. Mar 9, 2008 #6
    i would hope to go to the academic field. Would UCSD and UIUC make a BIG difference? or just a mild one?

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7
    You're gonna have to look at the specific program at UCSD to see who's on the faculty, what kinds of research they do, their post-doc success, etc. But, if you like University of California, why just San Diego?

9. Mar 10, 2008 #8
    I have received offer from these two universities, so I am considering which to go.
    The fact is that I like the research of a professor in UCSD...
    How can I check the post-doc success for particular grad school?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?