UIUC vs San Diego Engineering School

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between the engineering graduate schools of UIUC and UC San Diego. The speaker rates UIUC higher overall and mentions the importance of considering the specific department and faculty in each school. They also note that UIUC is a top-ranked engineering school, while UCSD is also considered a good school with a beautiful physical setting. The speaker also suggests looking into post-doc success when considering a graduate school. The conversation ends with the speaker stating that they have received offers from both schools and are considering their options.
hanson
Hello
How would you rate the engineering graduate school of UIUC and UC San Diego?
Do you think they are in the same tier in the US?
I am not a resident in the US so I am not really sure how these two schools are like.
Can someone give some comments?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would rate UIUC higher overall. What field of engineering are you in?

There's no question that UIUC is a top-ranked engineering school, but, as Manchot notes, check the specific department. Look for well-known (in their field) professors, research activities, and peer ranking (if you can find that).

I am in mechanical engineering.
UIUC shall be higher-ranked one, but do you think there is a huge gap between UIUC and UCSD?
I mean are they classified as the same tier?

hanson said:
I am in mechanical engineering.
UIUC shall be higher-ranked one, but do you think there is a huge gap between UIUC and UCSD?
I mean are they classified as the same tier?

They're both good schools. UIUC is in the top 20 in almost any rating and that might make a difference if you want to get a PhD and have an academic career. If you want to be a practicing engineer, any of the top 100 or so schools is fine. UCSD is certainly in that category and apparently has a wonderful physical setting (engineering students are permitted some social time).

TVP45 said:
They're both good schools. UIUC is in the top 20 in almost any rating and that might make a difference if you want to get a PhD and have an academic career. If you want to be a practicing engineer, any of the top 100 or so schools is fine. UCSD is certainly in that category and apparently has a wonderful physical setting (engineering students are permitted some social time).

i would hope to go to the academic field. Would UCSD and UIUC make a BIG difference? or just a mild one?

You're going to have to look at the specific program at UCSD to see who's on the faculty, what kinds of research they do, their post-doc success, etc. But, if you like University of California, why just San Diego?

TVP45 said:
You're going to have to look at the specific program at UCSD to see who's on the faculty, what kinds of research they do, their post-doc success, etc. But, if you like University of California, why just San Diego?

I have received offer from these two universities, so I am considering which to go.
The fact is that I like the research of a professor in UCSD...
How can I check the post-doc success for particular grad school?

1. What are the main differences between the engineering programs at UIUC and San Diego?

The main difference between the engineering programs at UIUC and San Diego is their focus. UIUC has a strong focus on research and theoretical knowledge, while San Diego's program is more hands-on and practical. Additionally, UIUC has a broader range of engineering disciplines offered, while San Diego is known for its strong programs in aerospace and bioengineering.

2. Which school has a better reputation in the engineering industry?

Both UIUC and San Diego have strong reputations in the engineering industry. UIUC is ranked higher in overall engineering rankings, while San Diego is known for its strong connections to industry and its location in a hub of technology companies.

3. What are the job prospects for engineering graduates from UIUC and San Diego?

The job prospects for engineering graduates from both schools are excellent. Both UIUC and San Diego have high job placement rates and strong connections to industry. Graduates from both schools are highly sought after by top companies in the engineering field.

4. Which school has a more rigorous curriculum?

Both UIUC and San Diego have rigorous engineering curriculums. However, UIUC's program is known for its rigorous coursework and research opportunities, while San Diego's program is known for its hands-on and practical approach to learning.

5. How do tuition and cost of living compare between UIUC and San Diego?

The cost of tuition and living expenses at UIUC and San Diego varies depending on your residency status and individual circumstances. However, generally, UIUC has slightly lower tuition costs than San Diego, but San Diego has a higher cost of living due to its location in a more expensive city.