The 1366x768 is very slightly stretched 1365.3x768 16x9 image. For the graphics speed, most of the painting is done via macros that describe polygons in that address space, so the addressing issue is handled within the video card. I'm pretty sure that the video card internals put stuff on nice boundaries, and skip bands of memory when refreshing the video.
Resolutions I see with my 'classic' CRT monitor with ATI HD4870 video card. I'm not sure what other options I'd get with a digital monitor. The non 4:3 formats end up being stretched to fill the screen, although I could adjust image size to compensate, but this would cause burn-in issues. I sometimes use 16:9 format even though it's stretched, in order to make videos for youtube. One reason CRT's can handle such a wide variety of resolutions is the CRT circuitry can ignore phosphor boundaries and use resolution based boundaries instead, relying on the partial responses from the phosphors when partially painted, which act as a type of automatic anti-aliasing + upconvert combined. Despite the large list, I mostly use 1280x960, some 1600x1200 for some games, and 1920x1440 when editting hi-def video.
640x480 (4:3)
800x600 (4:3)
1024x768 (4:3)
1280x720 (16:9)
1280x800 (16:10)
1280x960 (16:12)
1280x1024 (5:4)
1360x768 (1365.3x768 would be 16:9)
1360x1024 (1365.3x1024 would be 4:3)
1440x900 (16:9)
1600x1200 (4:3)
1680x1050 (16:10)
1792x1344 (4:3)
1800x1440 (5:4)
1856x1392 (4:3)
1920x1080 (16:9)
1920x1200 (16:10)
1920x1440 (4:3)
2048x1536 (4:3)
For the high end guys, digital cinema projectors have up to 4096x2160 pixels, although 16:9 and 16:10 formats aren't normally used with these.
16:9 => 3840x2160 (not specified as digital cinema standard, but could be used for "red ray").
1.85:1 => 3996x2160
2.00:1 => 4096x2048
2.35:1 => 4096x1743
2.39:1 => 4096x1714