Undamped spring system, need help

In summary, the conversation was about a mass-spring system with a unit mass and a spring with stiffness constant k = 9. The forced oscillation of this system without damping was given by an equation and the question was to find the position of the mass at a given time using initial conditions. The solution was provided, but there was confusion about a typo in the cosine function. The conversation also mentioned using the Laplace transform method to solve the problem. In the end, the simplified answer was the same as the original solution.
flipjack
undamped spring system, need urgent help

hey guys, got my maths exam tomorrow and this question seems to be confusing me, i think they made a mistake, but I am not sure, if anyone could show me how to do this question or what answer they found it would be greatly appreciated

question:A mass-spring system consists of a unit mass (that is m = 1kg) and a spring with
stiffness constant k = 9. A forced oscillation of this system without damping is
given by x'' + 16x = sin(2t)

where x(t) is the position of the mass at the time t. If the initial position of the
mass is x(0) = 0 and the initial velocity of it is x'(0) = 2, find the position x(t) of
this initial value problem

Their solution:
x(t) = (11/24)sin(4t)+(1/12)cos(2t)

my answer was colossal compared to theirs :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

flipjack said:
Their solution:
x(t) = (11/24)sin(4t)+(1/12)cos(2t)

I think you (or your book) have a typo there: that should be a sine instead of a cosine. The cosine wouldn't satisfy the initial conditions.

Anyways, I indeed get x(t) = (11/24)sin(4t)+(1/12)sin(2t). I'm not sure what techniques you know so solve these things but I solved it using the Laplace transform method.

You should tell us how you tried to solve it so people can see what you did and tell you where you went wrong (or, perhaps that your solution is correct but you need to use some trig identities to get it down to the simpler form). In any event, you can always try to check your solution by differentiating and seeing if it satifies the DE.

thanks mute,
i just played around with a few identities and managed to simplify it to the same answer as you :smile:

What is an undamped spring system?

An undamped spring system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring without any external damping forces. This system is commonly used in physics and engineering to study simple harmonic motion.

What factors affect the behavior of an undamped spring system?

The behavior of an undamped spring system is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the stiffness of the spring, and the initial conditions of the system (such as the initial position and velocity of the mass).

How is the motion of an undamped spring system described?

The motion of an undamped spring system can be described using a sinusoidal function, where the amplitude represents the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position, and the period represents the time it takes for the mass to complete one full oscillation.

What is the equation of motion for an undamped spring system?

The equation of motion for an undamped spring system is given by 2x + kx = 0, where m is the mass of the object, ω is the angular frequency, and k is the spring constant.

How can I solve for the motion of an undamped spring system?

The motion of an undamped spring system can be solved using the general solution to the equation of motion, which is x(t) = A cos(ωt + ϕ), where A is the amplitude and ϕ is the phase angle. The specific values of A and ϕ can be determined using the initial conditions of the system.