Understanding 3D circle parameterization

• I
  • Thread starter user1003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Circle
In summary, the formula for a 3D circle parameterization includes three terms: the center point, the x-axis term, and the y-axis term. The x-axis term is determined by the radius and a unit vector, while the y-axis term is determined by the radius and a unit vector perpendicular to the normal vector of the circle's plane. To find the unit vector for the x-axis, start with any vector at right angles to the normal vector and normalize it to a unit length.
user1003
TL;DR Summary
Understanding 3D circle parameterization
Mathematics news on Phys.org
1) The third term, ##\overrightarrow{c}## just locates the center.
2) The first term, ##R\cos(t)\overrightarrow{u}## is like the u vector is the X-axis of a simple circle of radius ##R## in the XY plane.
3) The second term, ##R\sin(t)\overrightarrow{n}\times\overrightarrow{u}## is like the Y-axis of a simple circle of radius ##R## in the XY plane.
( ##\overrightarrow{n}\times\overrightarrow{u}## is a unit vector at right angles to both ##n## and ##u##. Since ##n## is normal to the plane of the circle, that puts ##\overrightarrow{n}\times\overrightarrow{u}## in the plane of the circle at right angles to ##u##.)

How you can calculate ##\overrightarrow{n}## and ##\overrightarrow{u}## would depend on what information you have in the problem you are working on.

Last edited:
:welcome:

I think that ##\vec u## is any unit vector, and ##\vec n## is any vector perpendicular to ##\vec u##. Any choice defines a circle. For any given circle, you have a choice of ##\vec u## and two options for ##\vec n##.

FactChecker said:
2) The first term, ##R\cos(t)\overrightarrow{u}## is like the u vector is the X-axis of a simple circle of radius ##R## in the XY plane.
3) The third term, ##R\sin(t)\overrightarrow{n}\times\overrightarrow{u}## is like the Y-axis of a simple circle of radius ##R## in the XY plane.
( ##\overrightarrow{n}\times\overrightarrow{u}## is a unit vector at right angles to both ##n## and ##u##. Since ##n## is normal to the plane of the circle, that puts ##\overrightarrow{n}\times\overrightarrow{u}## in the plane of the circle at right angles to ##u##.)

How you can calculate ##\overrightarrow{n}## and ##\overrightarrow{u}## would depend on what information you have in the problem you are working on.
Thanks!
I have the normal of the circle's plane, center point and radius

user1003 said:
Thanks!
I have the normal of the circle's plane, center point and radius
I had to correct a mistake for the third line. It is the second term, not the third.

FactChecker said:
3) The second term, ##R\sin(t)\overrightarrow{n}\times\overrightarrow{u}## is like the Y-axis of a simple circle of radius ##R## in the XY plane.

Hey

so my question is how do I get the vector u if I have the normal of the circle's plane, center point and radius?
thanks

user1003 said:
Hey

so my question is how do I get the vector u if I have the normal of the circle's plane, center point and radius?
thanks
Start with any vector at right angles to the normal vector ##\overrightarrow{n} = (n_x,n_y,n_z)##,
The general equation for a non-zero vector, ##\overrightarrow{v} = (v_x,v_y,v_z) \ne (0,0,0)##, at right angles is to say that the dot product with ##\overrightarrow{n}## is 0.
## 0 = n_x v_x + n_y v_y + n_z v_z##.
We know that ##\overrightarrow{n}## is not the zero vector. Assuming that ##n_z\ne 0##, we can set ##v_x=1, v_y=1, v_z = (-n_x - n_y)/n_z ##.
That will give a vector in the plane at right angles to ##\overrightarrow{n}##.
Then we want to normalize ##\overrightarrow{v}## to a unit length to get ##\overrightarrow{u}##:
##\overrightarrow{u} = \overrightarrow{v}/|\overrightarrow{v}|##

What is 3D circle parameterization?

3D circle parameterization is a mathematical process used to define the position, size, and orientation of a circle in three-dimensional space. It involves using a set of parameters to describe the circle's center, radius, and orientation relative to a coordinate system.

Why is 3D circle parameterization important?

3D circle parameterization is important because it allows us to accurately represent and manipulate circles in 3D space. This is useful in various fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics, where circles are commonly used in designs and calculations.

What are the parameters used in 3D circle parameterization?

The parameters used in 3D circle parameterization are the center coordinates (x, y, z), the radius (r), and the orientation (θ) of the circle. These parameters can be represented in different forms, such as Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, or vector form.

How is 3D circle parameterization different from 2D circle parameterization?

The main difference between 3D and 2D circle parameterization is the addition of the z-axis in 3D space. This means that the center coordinates and radius of a 3D circle are represented by three values instead of two. Additionally, the orientation of a 3D circle is described by an angle in the xy-plane and an angle in the xz-plane, whereas in 2D it is described by a single angle.

What are some applications of 3D circle parameterization?

3D circle parameterization is used in various applications, such as computer graphics for creating 3D models and animations, engineering for designing curved structures, and physics for calculating the motion of objects in 3D space. It is also used in GPS technology for determining the position and orientation of satellites.