Understanding Algebraic K-theory through Quillen's Plus Construction

• Thread starter sparkster
  • Start date
In summary, K_0, K_1, and K_2 are the classical definitions of a ring R. K_0 is the completion of the set of isomorphism classes of finitely generated projective R-modules. K_1 is the GL(R)/E(R) group and has a nice representation in terms of generators and relators of E(R) by Hopf's formula. K_2 is the kernel of the Steinburg St(R) group and is isomorphic to H_2(E(R),Z).
sparkster
The classical definitions of K_0, K_1, and K_2 for a ring R are

K_0(R)= Grothendieck completion of the set of isomorphism classes of finitely generated projective R-modules.

K_1(R)=GL(R)/E(R)=[GL(R)]^{ab}

For K_2, Milnor used the Steinburg St(R) group which maps onto E(R) and defined K_2(R) to be the kernel of this map. He proved that this is isomorphic to H_2(E(R),Z), which has a nice representation in terms of generators and relators of E(R) by Hopf's formula.

For the higher groups, Quillen used his plus construction and defined K(R)=K_0(R) x (BGL(R)+) and defined K_i(R)=pi_i(K(R)). So for i>0, K_i(R)=pi_i(BGL(R)+) since K_0 has no homotopy. For i=0, the definitions agree since K_0(R) is discrete and BGL(R)+ is path connected. For For i=1, the plus construction kills the homotopy of E(R), so the definitions agree.

I'm having trouble seeing how they agree for i=2. If GL(R) is discrete, I think there is a fibration that will give me the result, but if GL(R) is topological or a manifold, I don't how to show they are the same.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
do you know they are the same?

mathwonk said:
do you know they are the same?
If you believe wikipedia.

They're rigged so that they agree with the classical definitions. At the end of the wikipedia article they give a link to an online book. I've seen the book and they prove it via spectral sequences. I don't understand spectral sequences yet, so I was looking for an easier proof. Knudson's book The Homology of Linear Groups has an appendix with a quick sketch of algebraic k-theory. He comments that it's easy to see the two definitions agree, so I was hoping someone here had a more basic argument (ie, one that doesn't appeal to spectral sequences).

you might ask steve gersten, at utah.

I think I'll just some time in the library next week looking.

1. What is Algebraic K-theory?

Algebraic K-theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic properties of rings and their modules. It is used to understand the structure of algebraic objects and their relationships to other mathematical structures.

2. How is Algebraic K-theory different from other branches of mathematics?

Algebraic K-theory is unique in that it uses algebraic methods to study topological spaces. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, including number theory and geometry.

3. What are some of the key concepts in Algebraic K-theory?

Some key concepts in Algebraic K-theory include homotopy groups, exact sequences, and the Grothendieck group. These concepts help to define and understand the structure of algebraic objects and their properties.

4. How is Algebraic K-theory used in practical applications?

Algebraic K-theory has numerous practical applications in fields such as physics, computer science, and economics. It can be used to study and classify mathematical structures that arise in these areas, providing a better understanding of their properties and relationships.

5. What are some current research areas in Algebraic K-theory?

Some current research areas in Algebraic K-theory include higher algebraic K-theory, motivic cohomology, and applications to representation theory. Researchers are also studying connections between Algebraic K-theory and other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and number theory.