Understanding Coupled Redox Reactions (10.8) from ACS Freeman Chemistry Book

  • Thread starter Thread starter alexio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coupled Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
alexio
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I have studied chemistry thorugh ACS chemistry book published by Freeman.

Now I am studying chapter 10, Reduction-Oxidation and I have some problem with

Coupled Redox Reactions, 10.8.

I couldn`t understand the meaning of coupled reaction.

When I found the definition of it, it made me confused.

Plz tell me what the definition of it is and why it is important.

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
if I'm not wrong, coupled redox reactions are when half cells are combined. it falls into electro chemistry and redox potentials.

eg, a hydrogen half cell is:

2H+(aq) + 2e- <-------> H2(g)

and a copper half cell is:

Cu2+(aq) + 2e- <-------> Cu(s)

when you combine both half cells,

H2(g) + Cu2+(aq) -------> 2H+(aq) + Cu(s)

this above reaction should be a coupled redox reaction.