Understanding Faraday Cages: Choosing the Right Copper Mesh for 400 MHz Signals

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Rattlerdad
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1.I must make a Faraday cage with copper mesh that will protect product from stray 400 MHZ signals.The operator wants to see his product inside of the cage so i want to use the coarsest mesh I can for visibility reasons.I still need good protection from 400mhz.What is the coarsest copper mesh I can use? Has anyone seen a mesh size vs frequency chart?Thanks...



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Holes whose dimensions are much less than lambda/10 are required (about 7 cm). In theory your could use chicken wire (steel), however, you want a good conductor to get the best shielding, and you need to seal all seams (particularly the door). Copper windowscreen is a traditional and good choice for this application; it has small holes, you can see through it, the conductivity is high, and you can solder the seams together. You'll need fingerstock or EM gaskets for the door to make a good shield. (Rule of thumb: the door and any seams or penetrations must be conductive and watertight to be RF tight.)