Understanding products of triated water decay

In summary, when an atom of tritium decays in water, it becomes helium and a hydroxide ion. The hydroxide ion becomes positively charged and can take multiple paths to reach equilibrium.
Decimator
Figured this was more a chemistry question than nuclear question, so I put it here.

When an atom of tritium in [itex]^{3}_{1}H[/itex][itex]_{2}O[/itex] decays, it becomes [itex]^{3}_{2}He[/itex][itex]^{1+}[/itex] + [itex]e^{-}[/itex] + [itex]^{3}_{1}HO[/itex]

This then quickly becomes [itex]^{3}_{2}He[/itex] + [itex]^{3}_{1}HO[/itex]

I'm a little confused about the hydroxide. It needs another electron, so it's...positively charged? Anything else I have wrong?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
And I just now realized I misspelled "Tritiated" in the title.

Darn.

These are rather difficult things to predict. Note that both products of the fission are quite energetic and they both jump away from the initial point, ionizing water around. In the end it will all come to some kind of rest/equilibrium, but exact mechanism can take many paths.

1. What is triated water and why is it important to understand its decay?

Triated water is water that contains a radioactive isotope of hydrogen called tritium. It is important to understand its decay because it is a potential source of radiation exposure and can impact the environment and human health.

2. How does triated water decay?

Triated water decays through a process called beta decay, where a neutron in the tritium nucleus turns into a proton, releasing a high energy electron and transforming the tritium into a stable helium isotope.

3. What are the potential health risks associated with triated water decay?

The main health risk associated with triated water decay is exposure to ionizing radiation, which can damage cells and DNA and increase the risk of cancer. However, the health risks are minimal as tritium emits low energy radiation and has a short half-life.

4. How is the decay of triated water measured and monitored?

The decay of triated water can be measured and monitored through various techniques such as liquid scintillation counting, gas proportional counting, and accelerator mass spectrometry. These methods can detect and quantify the amount of tritium present in a sample.

5. What are the potential environmental impacts of triated water decay?

The main environmental impact of triated water decay is the release of radioactive material into the environment. This can lead to contamination of water sources and potential harm to aquatic organisms. However, strict regulations and monitoring are in place to prevent and mitigate these impacts.