Understanding products of triated water decay

  • Thread starter Thread starter Decimator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Decay Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Decimator
Messages
29
Reaction score
2
Figured this was more a chemistry question than nuclear question, so I put it here.

When an atom of tritium in [itex]^{3}_{1}H[/itex][itex]_{2}O[/itex] decays, it becomes [itex]^{3}_{2}He[/itex][itex]^{1+}[/itex] + [itex]e^{-}[/itex] + [itex]^{3}_{1}HO[/itex]

This then quickly becomes [itex]^{3}_{2}He[/itex] + [itex]^{3}_{1}HO[/itex]

I'm a little confused about the hydroxide. It needs another electron, so it's...positively charged? Anything else I have wrong?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
And I just now realized I misspelled "Tritiated" in the title.

Darn.
 
These are rather difficult things to predict. Note that both products of the fission are quite energetic and they both jump away from the initial point, ionizing water around. In the end it will all come to some kind of rest/equilibrium, but exact mechanism can take many paths.