Understanding Right Hand Rules - Namely w/ parallel wires

In summary: The direction of the force is determined by the direction of the magnetic field, so it points in the same direction as the current on the right wire.
orb

Homework Statement

There seem to be three right hand rules for dealing with magnetic field, current, and force, and I don't quite understand how to use them.

Namely, I'm having trouble understanding why two parallel wires with current flowing in each of them attract if the currents are in the same direction and repel if they are in opposite directions.

Homework Equations

RHR-1 says that if I "wrap my hand" around the wire where the magnetic field is, my thumb points in the direction of the current. That's all well and good. Both of the wires,next to each other , have current flow upward and, according to RHR-1, a magnetic field "counterclockwise" relative to the current.

The Attempt at a Solution

But I can't figure out how to use the other right hand rule(s) to figure out the direction of each force. The textbook says that the force exerted on the 2nd wire's current I2 by the first wire's current I1 is to the left, and that the force on the 1st wires current I1 by the 2nd wire's current I2 is to the right, making them attract. But how do they know which "direction" the force is going? Is the force centripetal? Or does it go in a definite direction?

I think I might be looking at the problem incorrectly.. :confused: :frown:

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
So you understand how you can tell which direction the magnetic field is in? You figure out the force by using the Biot-Savart law. F = qv x B. This requires the right hand rule again! :)

Biot-Savart is not helpful if you haven't studied "cross-products" yet.

When using RHRs # 1&2, choose one wire to "produce" the magnetic field, and the other wire to "feel" the magnetic force. Call the first wire the top wire. The wire underneath will be in the field of the first wire.

Read this next line carefully: Use RHR #1 to determine the direction of the field of the first wire in the location of the second wire. Then, with the direction of the field determined, use RHR #2 to determine the direction of the force on the second wire.

Chi Meson said:
Biot-Savart is not helpful if you haven't studied "cross-products" yet.

When using RHRs # 1&2, choose one wire to "produce" the magnetic field, and the other wire to "feel" the magnetic force. Call the first wire the top wire. The wire underneath will be in the field of the first wire.

Read this next line carefully: Use RHR #1 to determine the direction of the field of the first wire in the location of the second wire. Then, with the direction of the field determined, use RHR #2 to determine the direction of the force on the second wire.

30sygsj.jpg

So by my understanding, that's what you mean, right?

If so, I understand what you're saying up to actually using the RHR#2 as your last instruction. I can't see how that makes sense. How do you know where the red arrow points? The thumb is the force, right? How can I get the magnetic field to be circular? (Besides, the RHR#1 and #2 seem to be different depending on which textbook) :/

Thanks again.

I didn't realize right hand rule was, or even could be, taught without cross-products. Hmm.

So, from your diagram the wire with the red arrow creates a magnetic field that points down. The opposite wire sees a magnetic field pointing down, and because its current goes into the page, the right hand rule will show that a force causes the wire to go to left.

Now repeat the process for the opposite wire creating a magnetic field that the wire with the red arrow sees. It will see a magnetic field pointing field pointing up, and so you take your hand and point it in the direction of the current (into the page) and curl your fingers towards the magnetic field (up). Your thumb will point in the right direction, and so the force goes to the right.

Both forces point towards the opposite wire, which shows that the wires are attracted to each other.

orb said:
30sygsj.jpg

So by my understanding, that's what you mean, right?

If so, I understand what you're saying up to actually using the RHR#2 as your last instruction. I can't see how that makes sense. How do you know where the red arrow points? The thumb is the force, right? How can I get the magnetic field to be circular? (Besides, the RHR#1 and #2 seem to be different depending on which textbook) :/

Thanks again.
No, the thumb is the direction of "I" the "conventional current" (opposite the electron flow).

Looking at the left wire which is in the magnetic field pointing up (just forget the "clockwise" designation--where the wire is, the B-field is pointing UP).

fingers in the direction of the B-field, thumb in the direction of the current, Palm is Pointing in the direction of force on the wire. Try it.

Mindscrape said:
I didn't realize right hand rule was, or even could be, taught without cross-products. Hmm.

This indicates you never learned magnetism in high school

OR

You had one heck of a math program in your high school.

I guess so. When I went through high school I took IB Physics, and I always assumed (apparently falsely) that they taught right hand rule with the cross product in all the classes. In my class, if we ever had vectors we were supplied with the i, j, k, determinate formula, but I thought the more general sine rule was always taught with cross products.

I don't mean to be belittling at all, but I just don't see how the right hand rule makes any sense without a cross product and don't understand why they don't teach it in all classes.

P.S. Glad you see you got it worked out, Orb.

1. What is the purpose of using right hand rules in understanding parallel wires?

The right hand rules are used to determine the direction of the magnetic field or force in a given scenario involving parallel wires. This helps in understanding the behavior of electric currents and their interactions with each other.

2. How do you use the right hand rule for parallel wires?

To use the right hand rule for parallel wires, you need to first identify the direction of the current in each wire. Then, point your right thumb in the direction of the current in one wire and curl your fingers towards the other wire. The direction in which your fingers point is the direction of the magnetic field or force between the two wires.

3. Can the right hand rule be used for any number of parallel wires?

Yes, the right hand rule can be used for any number of parallel wires. For multiple wires, you can use your right hand to determine the direction of the magnetic field or force between any two wires by pointing your thumb in the direction of the current in one wire and curling your fingers towards the other wire.

4. How does the distance between parallel wires affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The distance between parallel wires has an inverse relationship with the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the strength of the magnetic field increases.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding right hand rules for parallel wires?

One of the most common applications of understanding right hand rules for parallel wires is in the design and function of electric motors. The interaction between the magnetic fields created by parallel wires is what allows electric motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. This concept is also important in the design of generators and other electrical devices.