Understanding Solar UV Radiation and Its Impact on Earth: A Brief Overview

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
1,262
Reaction score
755
Is solar uv completely blocked from reaching Earth or do we just need more sensitive uv detectors to make ground-based observations? In particular of the uv wavelengths corresponding to hydrogen Lyman series lines.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sunburns offer compelling evidence that some fraction of solar UV does reach the ground. The atmosphere screens out most, but not all UV radiation. I suspect some radiation at these wavelengths is visible in the Lyman series, but, most is in the Balmer series.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and neilparker62
Chronos said:
Sunburns offer compelling evidence that some fraction of solar UV does reach the ground. The atmosphere screens out most, but not all UV radiation. I suspect some radiation at these wavelengths is visible in the Lyman series, but, most is in the Balmer series.
Thanks - the reason I asked because we've got a whole lot of fancy hardware up in space examining distant stars and galaxies yet the data on our very own special star, the sun is pretty woeful as far as I can make out. I have researched sources of solar Lyman Alpha and Lyman Beta profiles and so far the best I can find is Artzner's 1978 profile and Lyman Beta extracted via 'densitometry' from Tousey's early rocket based observations. I would like to see Artzner's very careful profile at higher resolution. I would like to see what's going on in the small dips you see in left and right peaks. I would like to have a precision measurement of a key reference wavelength namely the geo-coronal absorption rather than seeing attempts to whitewash it out of the picture possibly compromising the profiles. I would also like to see precision measurements on the separation of the peaks in these profiles. Does that vary? Should it vary ? Do we need to be very careful where we measure (ie at disk centre of "quiet sun" rather than in wavy limb filaments or whatever) ?