Understanding the Irreducible Solution in Classical Harmonic Oscillators

In summary, the irreducible solution in the classical harmonic oscillator is defined as the solution written as a sum of eigenvectors. This solution can also be derived from the quantum harmonic oscillator.
George444fg
TL;DR Summary
Harmonic Oscillator
Hellow. I am doing an introductory to Quantum Mechanics course, and the irreducible solution appeared in the harmonic oscillator. When we talk about the irreducible solution, this is the solution as a linear combination of the eigenbasis of the system. This is understandable, however, if I have a simple case of a harmonic oscillator, with solution sin(wt) then the irreducible solution would be ie^(-iwt)? Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little confused by the terminology you use, particularly irreducible solution. But I read your post as defining the irreducible solution as the solution written as the sum of eigenvectors. Also, are you referring to the quantum harmonic oscillator or the classical harmonic oscillator in the last half of your post?

Haborix said:
I'm a little confused by the terminology you use, particularly irreducible solution. But I read your post as defining the irreducible solution as the solution written as the sum of eigenvectors. Also, are you referring to the quantum harmonic oscillator or the classical harmonic oscillator in the last half of your post?
It is the classic oscillator. But nonetheless, it can be derived from the quantum oscillator.

What is an irreducible state solution?

An irreducible state solution is a concept in physics that refers to a state in which a system cannot be broken down into smaller, more fundamental parts. This means that the system is in a stable and unchanging state, and cannot be further simplified or reduced.

Why is the concept of irreducible state solution important?

The concept of irreducible state solution is important because it helps us understand the behavior of complex systems. By identifying and studying these states, we can gain insights into the underlying principles and laws that govern the behavior of the system as a whole.

How do scientists identify irreducible state solutions?

Scientists use various methods and techniques, such as mathematical modeling and experimental observations, to identify irreducible state solutions. These methods involve analyzing the behavior and interactions of the system's components to determine if they can be further reduced or simplified.

What are some examples of systems that exhibit irreducible state solutions?

Examples of systems that exhibit irreducible state solutions include simple physical systems like a pendulum or a simple harmonic oscillator, as well as complex systems like weather patterns, ecosystems, and the human brain.

Can an irreducible state solution ever change?

In most cases, an irreducible state solution is considered to be stable and unchanging. However, in some cases, external factors or disturbances can cause a system to shift to a new irreducible state solution. This is known as a phase transition and is an area of active research in physics.