1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding the phase-space representation of Ensembles

1. Jan 5, 2016 #1
    Hello , i have some troubles with basics concepts of statistical mechanics.
    I feel confortable with the general idea of an Ensamble, a collection of copies of the physical system wich differs from each other due to microscopic differences and having the same macroscopic behavior.

I'm ok also with the concept that a point in a 6N-dimensional phase-space represent a specific microstate of the system itselt but i fell unconfortable with the idea of 'motion' of these points.

I see the ensemble as a 'cloud' of non-interactive points each of them representing a particular allowed state.
    Why should these points follow trajectories? According to the hamilton equations the possible solution are all the microstate and at a fixed energy , possible microstate are fixed so I can't imagine any motion in this space.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jan 20, 2016 #3
    I think I wrote it in the wrong section.
    I mean, maybe the 'Atomic, solid state anch comp. physics' section should be better, but I don't know how to move the post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook