Understanding Triply Periodic Surfaces: Translations and Invariance?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Demon117
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Periodic Surfaces
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Demon117
Messages
162
Reaction score
1
So I understand that a surface is triply periodic when the surface is invariant under three tanslations in [itex]R^{3}[/itex]. When looking at the primitive for example, how is that translation defined? Say that the primitive is a set defined by the equation

[itex]cos(x)+cos(y)+cos(z)=0[/itex]

My guess is that the translation would take [itex](x,y,z)\rightarrow(x+\Delta x, y+\Delta y, z +\Delta z)[/itex]. Is that incorrect thinking?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Readjustment

So I have new information now. Apparently showing that the gradient of a level set does not vanish somehow also shows that a set defined as above is invariant under three translations. How is that the case?

With that in mind, the gradient of the above is

[itex]\nabla(cos(x)+cos(y)+cos(z)) \ne 0 \rightarrow (-sin(x),-sin(y),-sin(z)) \ne 0 \rightarrow x,y,z \ne 0[/itex]

I don't see how this guarantees the surface is invariant under three translations in [itex]R^{3}[/itex]. Any suggestions?